Thanks Thanks:  67
Likes Likes:  44
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope everyone is doing well in this trying time.

John, got a question as to how to best do this.

I am having a new pension for checking the print prior to committing it to the printer using the CubePro slicer as a viewer.

I'm having two problems, one annoying and the other that is not 'acting like windows should'.

Problem one; I have to change the edit/preferences to exclude the extra data that CubePro doesn't like for previewing. However, I normally love the process of loading MOD files directly into CubePrint 4.03 and submitting them from there. This 'toggle' operation through preferences for a preview print seems excessive. Using CubePro to view your sliced files is very valuable. I am working on re-arranging groups of data and a simple -preview out- would be great. It would format the header for CubePro (cubepro type, material, and color) and give it a temporary name. The reason this is being problematic is No.2...

Problem two is the inability to recover from a "file save" when a MOD file has been generated. I don't know what is going on but I've had to dump out of the process to re-save the file after making the changes again. I am not doing the iterations and I love the process of making the MOD file as it is quite streamlined. However, any break in that routine is not acting as one would expect of Windooze to allow over-writing. The editor doesn't seem to do anything upon a save-error.

I know a lot of this is about holding your mouth right. And it is doable. Seems a streamlining would be nice if you get back to these things.

As to grabbing blocks of data. The data is nicely sorted by #Vector sections. I am working on using your tool to work better for 'engraving". One reason we cannot make a nice image on the first layer is that the ID perimeter is applied after the infill. Having a 'section selector' for re-sorting would be a fun tool.

There are several reasons I am not doing this with dual nozzles and one is the poor performance of dual nozzles on the Cube3. It works and you can tune it if you have enough nozzles but it always drags little flecks around. I want to take and dial the inside perimeter traces to be grouped together and placed before the infill. Also, at the end of the engraving traces, it has a pause so the user can hit pause and change filament and maybe extend the purge when resuming. This is also more attractive as the infill bounds the image rather than a parallel trace that really messes up the resolution.

I worked one file today and it involved 10,000 entries. I could really use some tools to make this a little more fun. I am glad to have the tools for sure! I wouldn't attempt these things without it. I do a quick prune in Excel which has to be copied into notepad which in turn gets pasted into the editor as ascii. It all works!

Here is the isolated trace image from CubePro

engrave3d.PNG

Every trace was specifically laid out to fit perfectly with the printer as you see by using a 0.9mm as a boundary. I could predict what the slicer would do. To keep these all prominent, I needed to move them before the infill #Vector T11 traces.

I have yet to print this but it is a move in the right direction. I have a few more design tweaks to do.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    we're holding our own in this trying time.

So for the change requests, I see:

1. If loading a CubePro file, automatically exclude the extra data when saving.
    2. Create a simple preview of the item.
    3. Fix overwriting of _MOD files.

That seem right?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    1) any file, not just CubePro. I use the Cube3 slicer which I can preview in the CubePro slicer as long as the extra data is removed. That's why a "preview out" option would be formatted for reading in CubePro; sans extra data and a temporary file name not brought into memory [snapshot]. It can be opened directly in CubePro (not dropped). If the file has errors, you'd know right away. Basically a sanity check output option as well. Useful for splicing files which is not easy.

2) have you been working on the graphics for visualization? Otherwise, yes, see 1). I'd love to see graphics selection of blocks for deletion or sorting real time! We're getting into S3D territory for that.

3) Yes please. Let the "generate cube3" button and save options overwrite the previous MOD file with impunity. It is the master that is sacred.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    thank you buddybud, solid and Hex Density values are available in cube print config and are the "best" options in cube print but the result is not solid as I am looking for. there is an infill density % value, using the picture showed below as comparision pattern, with cuba print I can get 20% of infill density and I am looking more than 40% infill density.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Solid in CubePro is all walls and no infill. They reduce the temperature 10 degrees to do that. Basically they set the walls to like 5000.

6. Likes buddybu liked this post
    Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by asamudio View Post
    thank you buddybud, solid and Hex Density values are available in cube print config and are the "best" options in cube print but the result is not solid as I am looking for. there is an infill density % value, using the picture showed below as comparision pattern, with cuba print I can get 20% of infill density and I am looking more than 40% infill density.

Unfortunately, we don't have that level of control with the cube slicers available. You may likely need to go to Slic3r, which has a cube3 export capability, but it is not free. I have looked at modifying the Cura source to add a Cube3 profile to the BFB pinter, but that is a work in progress that I have largely set aside as the instructions to build the software were not working for me.

Sorry there's not better news.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does S3D have solid as an infill option?

Cura could do it with some post processing work depending on how easy the print it. If you are just building something structural, I might suggest creating structural members appropriate for the anticipated loads. For instance, for a solid infill, make a series of 2mm walls with 0.05mm gaps in between. That will force the slicer to make it nearly solid in two planes. A little more creativity could target the loads exactly as you need them in design rather than bulk fill. This is the science of making things manufacturable. I design to the printer's capabilities all the time for structural or aesthetic reasons.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I meant S3D, not Slic3r.

- - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Does S3D have solid as an infill option?

Cura could do it with some post processing work depending on how easy the print it. If you are just building something structural, I might suggest creating structural members appropriate for the anticipated loads. For instance, for a solid infill, make a series of 2mm walls with 0.05mm gaps in between. That will force the slicer to make it nearly solid in two planes. A little more creativity could target the loads exactly as you need them in design rather than bulk fill. This is the science of making things manufacturable. I design to the printer's capabilities all the time for structural or aesthetic reasons.
    i don't know anything about the operation of S3D. I should probably grab an evaluation version and give it a try. You're right, we could do some post processing on Cura. It would be interesting to try -- I haven't done it before, but it could be tried.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest one is M109 [Cura] being the an option on M104 [3DS]. Easy enough. Then add bias temp on the unused extruder right after init and turn it off at the end.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    What do you mean that the M109 being an option on M104?

And how would we deal with the BIAS temp? Not sure what you mean here.