Thanks Thanks:  39
Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Indeed you have seen the possibilities

To understand the temp profiles, you might want to do some investigating of how the slicer assigns temps. You can study the BFB in an offline database and query the 'patterns' the slicer is designed to generate. They are not critical, but to meet the designer's intent, you want to at least understand it.

A tip from my analysis... the first layer temp is much higher using PLA. 235 where 215 is the norm. There is overshoot control in the switching of nozzles. there are several 'maintenance temp' calls which have lower counts in the table. Buddy is adding up all the temp calls for each temp in the file.

The blob is two fold. I am glad you mentioned the start blob. I take out a line in the BFB that parks the nozzle just outside the wiper. This helps a little. I think there is a slight bug in the start because I notices that is starts out fat and only slowly reduces the trace width. This could be managed with some manipulation in the pressure setting (M108). The other setting you want to know about retraction settings. This is where the blob comes in. Let me explain why we may want to affect these values.

First of all, the original cartridge bowden tubes stretch anywhere from 1/4" to 3/8". This was accounted for in the slicer. Our 4mm bowden tubes barely stretch. So we can back of the retraction settings that makes up for this stretch. I find that setting the 2 first values on M227 and the equivalent value in M228 can be cut to 2/3 their original value. Stringing is an indicator of when you hit the lower boundary. The last 2 values also have an affect but I haven't got to the bottom of it yet. They are unique to Cubify.

There is also a painful housekeeping routine for each layer and within layers This is when the extruder is stopped, the plate drops a bit, and the retraction takes over. This works okay, this is when it is destringing, but it also does this without retraction at times. This is when the blob occurs. Basically pausing while filament is expanding from heat. This could be solved with a slight offset between retract and re-instating the original position. Basically pull back a little more than you than you subsequently forward.

Another method for appropriate single models is to remove the entire M103 series and make it a continuous print. This works well for towers, for instance, when only skin layers are put down.

Also look at those #vector calls. These are slicer modes. Walls, sidewalks, infill, etc. each have their own call so you find certain sections a bit easier.

And if you really want to have some fun, put the program's .XML files through the decoder

2. Likes Energyx liked this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    :-O ....okeeee... For now I just enjoy my new printquality for while :-D If that is ok with you. But I can sense I will do a lot of test prints in the future ;-)

4. Likes TommyDee liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just put that there for mulling in the mind. Happy Printing Energyx!

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    And just a little bit on the temperature lists. This is the order that I have found them in the file and the count of the specific temperature I have found. I am not sure how useful this is, but I was thinking of an enhancement that would let you adjust specific temperatures and specific rows.

7. Likes TommyDee liked this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the information about Cube 3D Printer.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    hm, i don't have invested that much in it at the moment..but: isn't retraction supposed to pull the material away from the nozzle? like this a high value (as it is produced by the slicer by default) ... shouldn't that have a negative effect in the opposite as the blob? so why does it blob if the material is pulled way more back as it should? Or maybe I just misread your post :-)

So... at bottom line: you spent weeks with looking at BFB it seems ... is it all returning back to the BFB code that is causing the Blob? Or is it some mechanics of the cube how it interprets the BFB code that is causing it? in other words...if i would now spend months with BFB and manipulating the patterns...would i succeed to remove the blob?
    Just curious

- - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    I just put that there for mulling in the mind. Happy Printing Energyx!
    works

- - - - - - - - - -

Attachment 3461Attachment 3462 quite ok ��

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    kind of... but probably simpler than trying to dig into what retractions means less stringing which is what it's intent is.

On the M227 command, there is a P450 and an S450. in simple terms, one is 'suck' and the other 'prime'. At 450 units X [stepper counts probably] the retraction in the '3DS generic recipe' as set in config files, accounts for 1) the retract and 2) the reduction of the bowden tube stretch (the thin stuff). Therefore, removing the stretch part of this value is appropriate to meet original intent. Basically, we are over-retracting by some 10mm.
    As to the 'purge' element, it is set to just come back to where it was. What happens during the pause is that filament is expanding in size at up to 20%! So reducing the 'purge' to account for this fresh expansion will manage the blob.

Ekocycle BFB in Cube3 runs P and S at 375 (IIRC) I change that 325 and I see improvements. I could go back and figure exactly what each step means in avancement or retraction. Stepper are 1/200th of a turn per count. And we have a value of about 25mm on the gear diameter (stated in one of the configs).

Does that make a little more sense of how I am viewing this? It may not be accurate but this is what I see and mess with in my files. I really haven't gone after the blob much past this. I know the other two values have a hand in how fast things resume. I suspect there is a lot of opportunity there too.The other thing to consider is that bowden tube printer have this issue where direct drive is more responsive. Where trying to write with a wet nozzle when direct printers have a fine point pen. So there will always be limitations. But stiffing up that bowden tube is only a good thing. Refining the default recipe to make up for this change could use some investigation. My preference; attack this in the config files when the right value is achieved.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    New version posted. It has initial support for Cube1 and Cube2 files. Don't try to manipulate them in the editor quite yet, but added a new utility that just hacks the generated files, quite badly.

Also cleaned up some error handling that I had disabled some time ago because of this.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gd...mhQ_f28-DhOI6e

12. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Energyx View Post
    ...<snip>

- - - - - - - - - -

Attachment 3461Attachment 3462 quite ok ��
    For some reason the forum lost some attachments yesterday. It happened to me too. Care to re-upload them?

- - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by buddybu View Post
    New version posted. It has initial support for Cube1 and Cube2 files. Don't try to manipulate them in the editor quite yet, but added a new utility that just hacks the generated files, quite badly.

Also cleaned up some error handling that I had disabled some time ago because of this.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gd...mhQ_f28-DhOI6e
    Are you starting to understand the web I've got on my hands with CubePro now

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep. I just need to find someone local who is dumping CubePro/Ekocycle/Cube3s....

- - - - - - - - - -

Oh, and just for anyone else who is reading this set of messages. CREATION files, which are older format CUBE files, are encoded STL files with an XML attached. I think it was 3DSystems first attempt. After they decode the CREATION file, they then encode the STL to BFB and put it in an ecoded CUBE file.

- - - - - - - - - -

A new release has been posted. this time I put it on my Github page.

https://github.com/buddybu/Cube3Edit.../tag/v0.91BETA

I added a basic XML viewer for those Cube3 files that have not been stripped down to just the model data. You will currently get an error that tells you to load a Cube3 model. The next release will fine tune that error.

15. Likes TommyDee liked this post