Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Zap! and a bricked cube3 ?? :-(

Hi,

so one of my cube3's randomly shut down during two prints and I was fiddling with the power supply. I unplugged the cable from the outlet to the power supply at the power supply (so the cable was still plugged into the wall, and the power supply was still plugged into the cube3). I plugged the cable back in and noticed some sparks... and now my cube3 won't turn on. The power supply light is green, and I've tried with another power supply too.

Is it bricked forever? Is there a fuse or something somewhere?

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's not good. I always turn off my Cubes with a power strip and haven't had issues. You basically did that.

However, if it was randomly shutting down, something is certainly wrong. I can only go back to my diagnostics routines.

1st of all, I don't know the pin-out of the power supply. Second of all, hearing electrical "crackling" when hot-plugging the Cube3 is not uncommon.

Having tested 2 supplies also points to an internal fault. Do both supplies still function on a different Cube3.

The only way to know is tearing into the Cube3. Use a VOM to chase the power. Unplug the motherboard and see if power is making to the right pins.

Once you know where the power is trying to go, you can look for failed components on the motherboard leading away from the power connector.

And if nothing else, I normally try re-seating all connectors as my first attempt. That solves almost 1/2 my electronics failures.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yea... I will have to tear it down. Don't know when I'll get around to that haha.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you versed in the Cube3 tear-down?

https://www.openbuilds.io/threads/te...o-reprap.5689/