Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting ready to build

I was fortunate to get my printer right before the holidays and am getting ready to put it together in the next few days (been building a workshop and office to house comps and printer).

I am a bit uneasy about getting things set up correctly and it seems there are more and more issues that are arising as more users are playing with the machine. I don't have nearly the same mechanical/electrical/engineering skills that many of you do but I am not completely lost either so I feel confident that I can get it going (with a bit of help of course....)

If you guys had to start all over, what are the steps you would do first? What would you do differently now that you've encountered issues? Should I take apart the extruder to check it?

I know I'd like to get set up and print out the new plate that was posted for the extruder.

Feel free to post your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Same here. Just got my printer. Would be glad if someone can share his/her experience in getting the machine buit!

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you getting kits or semiassembled?

Semiassembled is just putting some nuts n screws togheter, nothing else. Most of our problems came from weird assembled extruders and/or fans...

Some other issues might have happened during shipping/handling or loose wires/screws, but nothing critical.

So far the ONLY critical issues have been with the extruder and that does not apply to setting up the printer and print the first piece...

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    First and foremost I would check everything over with a fine tooth comb. seriously the biggest problem everyone seems to be having is quality control. It is not that the printer has actual major problems it always seems to boil down to simply wrong/sloppy assembly from the factory. I would for sure check over the enitre extruder and double and triple check your extruder's fans work the proper way and more importantly that your extruder's hobbed feed wheel is lined up properly and the set screw is secured nice and tight(maybe even put some thread locker on it before hand).

Also make sure you have a good full set of allen keys for assembly. The ones Rapide Lite provided are cheap as anything and round off pretty easily. They also do not fit all the machine screws properly and I know for a fact that the 4 main big machine screws that anchor the top frame to the base of the printer are a really weird in size as none of the allen keys rapide lite supplied or even I had on hand fit properly. My solution was quick and dirty and I took an old spare key I had that was slightly to big and grinded it down a bit on all sides with my bench grinder(had nothing on hand and it was a blizzard outside during holidays like hell I was leaving the house or stopping the build haha)

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^What he said!

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    To add to the list:

- I would move the extruder motor wires out of the serial connector of the head.
    They are not doing anything in there and eventually will break.

- secure the under bed plate wires to the moving support bearing. It has even a screw thread not used. The wire might get in touch with the Y belt and will need to be fixed.

- when opening the extruder to clean up very well the dented wheel and verify that there is no dirt/metal chips around that can fall into the nozzle.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses so far guys. I have the semi assembled kit and I do have several sets of good allen keys to use.

I am hoping to be printing by the end of the week.

Post Thanks / Like
    @joao can u link or post pics of the under bed plate wires screwed?

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll do even better and share a video that Justin did:

In fact Justin posted a few videos that will definitely will help new members and save the exploratory time (I like to explore myself but its always nice to confirm what others did).
    More videos here: https://plus.google.com/communities/...6-8c9a90cef651

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any of you guys that have taken apart the extruder have advice? I have moved the cables under the bed and secured them out of the way and have taken the wires out of the serial plug. Haven't put the extruder on the printer yet and sitting here trying to decide if I take it apart before I even try to see if it prints?

Advice from the gurus?