Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like

Power supply exploded (short circuit)

Here is the full story.

Few days ago I left the printer doing its usual over-night work.
    In the morning everything was normal, the print completed and the printer was still with the base fans only working. I switched it off.

A few hours after I tried to turn it on again and nothing.
    1st thought: it is that stupid switch button that before didn't want to switch off, and now does not want to switch on...

1- I opened the base to check the switch button. It was ok.

2- I measured the power coming from the 3 pin plug and there was no voltage coming.
    I don't know about you guys, but my power cord plug is very loose and does not have a tight fit. I was going to get another one but it was working well, just squashed a bit the internal contacts to get me more confident with the contact.
    IMG_2274.jpg

3- Found that the power socket has a fuse (great). It was burned.
    IMG_2268.jpg

4- Replaced the fuse with a 3A 250V.

5- Checked connectivity now from the power cord up to the switch button and power supply. Everything was ok and ready to get power.

6- Plugged the power to mains, and ZAP!
    Big flash from the inside of power supply and burn smell.

7- The fuse didn't get burnt this time.
    Only power supply was still releasing very small amount of smoke, even with power disconnected.

I can guess that the power supply got an internal short circuit.
    It must be from the 12V circuit because the fuse was not burnt and the flash was quite strong and loud, only possible with a higher amperage.

Maybe the 30A (370W) of the power supply are not enough and because of a long print a bad wire insulation or a bad soldering got spread and made contact.

I don't know because I didn't open the power supply before getting an answer from Rapide3D.
    There is nothing I can do with it anyway, it will be a lost power supply.

I removed it though from the case, and I found small tricks that might help another one that tries to do the same. I will post separately some photos and steps.
    IMG_2272.jpg

Anyone knows any power supply compatible with this one?

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that is not a very reassuring thing to hear. And as far as I know(I really have no clue just what I have generally read online) that power supply specs wise should be enough for the printer no problem.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I started to search power supplies and found out that:
    - almost all come from the same factory;
    - the ones advertised for 3D Printers are the same for the LED strip lights;
    - there is only 1 model that can handle more power, up to 33A (400W).

I was tempted to buy an ATX PC like power supply, because they are much better, can handle more W, have 5V also not only 12V (good for the raspberrypi), are quieter, have short circuit protection, auto fan speed and warning if over heating, can be switched on with a simple contact button.
    But it does not fit the case... I didn't find any small enough and I don't want an extra thing outside of the printer.

I ordered this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191428226488
    Last edited by Joao; 01-15-2015 at 01:56 AM.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to ask why are you not just telling rapide lite about this and making sure they send a new one?

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because I don't want to wait
    The power supply only costs £17 and it's not worth the effort to have them to replace mine.
    But I still complaint and I need an explanation and request the new one to be paid by them, also to help improving the quality control of future printers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing the story, Joao.

May be the fan on your power supply failed during the night and everything, as you say, "melted" and shorted??

Damn fans!

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    (disclaimer: I posted the same message on another thread by mistake. But I am not deleting the other one because it is also relevant for that topic sorry guys that see this duplicated)

I am really disappointed with Ethan's answer that I just received.

"The issue has occurred as a result of a power spike which is why the fuse is there. The 3A fuse you have used has caused the issue with the power shorting out and the damage."

He started well but then he just said something completely wrong and with a real lack of knowledge of electricity. There is no need of a special degree to know something as simple like this.

I would expect that they would have someone with the minimum understanding of electronics, this response just blown my mind...

I can see now that he outsourced everything and he might only be involved in the business plan.
    He could at least be sincere and ask for assistance to answer the support.

We are on our own.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    @Joao - This power supply may do the job http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-24v-3D...-/201224928422

Ooops, just seen you already ordered one.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Checked the fuse on mine. 3A 250V Fast.

Actually think you should get back to Ethan one more time. Mention you replaced the fuse with one of correct value. Replacing a fuse ONCE should not have to result in that bad effect, just blow the fuse again.

Don't know of any other items where a blown fuse means you should send the unit in for expertise repair without any delay. All manuals i have read (yes i do read some of them) says check the fuse and replace if broken. THEN if that does not help get professional help.

Even with their great problem with customs and returns from shippers eating them they should be able to support us on theese "small" issues.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sm0orb View Post
    Checked the fuse on mine. 3A 250V Fast.

Actually think you should get back to Ethan one more time. Mention you replaced the fuse with one of correct value. Replacing a fuse ONCE should not have to result in that bad effect, just blow the fuse again.
    Thanks!
    I replied back now but I know that it is like talking to my grandma.
    I am not starting to argue with them about this, its a lost cause and a waste of time.

I assume that the value that I paid for this printer was still worth it by its good aluminium frame, the equipment included (the ones that are ok), the overall setup, and because it introduced me to this 3d printing world. Even if I need to replace all components by better ones, it will still be a good value.

But I will not recommend to anyone a Rapide3D printer not by the fact they do not assume their responsibilities, but because their argument about the fuse is completely wrong and totally unacceptable.

Don't know of any other items where a blown fuse means you should send the unit in for expertise repair without any delay. All manuals i have read (yes i do read some of them) says check the fuse and replace if broken. THEN if that does not help get professional help.
    By the look of it I am much more professional and expert than them.
    I know enough of electricity and electronics to understand it, and this simple printer.

The ONLY reason for a fuse to blow is when there is current passing through the fuse that exceeds what the fuse can handle. This can be caused if the power supply uses more power than the 3A 250V (750W), by its normal and not well calculated power consumption, or by an abnormality for example a short circuit.
    The normal operation of our power supply requires only 360W (12V 30A), so it means that even with some small power losses for the transformer, 750W is more than enough for that fuse.

I will open the power supply just out of curiosity to find the short circuit.

Even with their great problem with customs and returns from shippers eating them they should be able to support us on theese "small" issues.
    I agree, but I will not ask anymore any technical support, its a waste of time.
    Last edited by Joao; 01-15-2015 at 11:27 PM.