Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Retrofit Nozzle Assembly

On openbuilds it looked like nobody was doing anything with the cube3 anymore. I have a Dremel 3D45 and haven't messed with my Cube3 in a while, but I got bored so I made a new nozzle assembly that relocates the stupid T24 causing switches to the top of the print head. I'm using this with the "hubcap" extruder. If anybody else is interested to try it, it's on Thingiverse - STL and Solidworks files. If anybody wants other formats just reach out.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3768242
    New Nozzle Assembly.JPGNew Nozzle Assembly Exploded View.JPG

2. Thanks bolsoncerrado thanked for this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum cwhiseant.

That's a new way of looking at it.

The only Tnn errors I've encountered were from having a chip in and no cart, and visa versa.
    I did have one machine plagued with temp errors years ago; it went back on warranty for other failures.

Would love to see pix of this in action!

Thanks for posting

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Welcome to the forum cwhiseant.

That's a new way of looking at it.

The only Tnn errors I've encountered were from having a chip in and no cart, and visa versa.
    I did have one machine plagued with temp errors years ago; it went back on warranty for other failures.

Would love to see pix of this in action!

Thanks for posting
    I posted pics of the assembly to Thingiverse last night, couldn't get it to let me add them here, keeps saying "upload failed." But - you can see the printed parts there at least. I will be honest - I haven't gotten it to print with this yet. The T24 error is gone now but it did not solve my T22 error problem. I was hoping it would. I get that with stock OE nozzles too though so I don't believe it is caused by the custom nozzle assemblies - I also tried several others before making this one. If anyone has ideas about what I could do about a T22 error, I would really appreciate the input!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wish over the years someone had a definitive answer for that one. Again, the one I had went back so I attributed it to the machine itself.

T22 means right side heater is not performing (heating up too slow).
    Now my gray cells are rattling... Underpowered power supplies were once blamed for this too.
    That does fit right in with T22.
    Here is a reference once posted about Txx errors: http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...e-3-error-list

Do you want to get this machine running again? Reliably? Power supplies are around $20 for an OEM replacement.
    If you can get a output measurement on the power supply output while heating, that should give you some idea of what's happening.

Also: http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...-Code-Solution (link from other link)

- - - - - - - - - -

Last edited by TommyDee; 07-25-2019 at 07:50 PM.

6. Thanks cwhiseant thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOw you already built one?

YOur review in 3, 2, 1...

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ha! No... I just posted the image for cwhiseant. That's his from thingiverse

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    @TommyDee, I got mine without a stock power supply - first thing I did was unsolder the OE connector, scratch off a couple solder pads on the power board and solder on a pigtail with a standard round power connector. I am using a 24V, 15A generic power supply, the kind with screw terminals on the outputs (again, I'd post pictures, but for some reason I can't). I'd love to get this machine running as a 2nd printer, but unless I can figure out the T22 issue it might have to go RepRap conversion . . .

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I understand what you hooked up and no, you certainly shouldn't be lacking for power.

The second reference above is the "hotend fan" providing too much flow and using Kapton tape to minimize airflow across the heater block.

But bottom line, think about the circuit. You have 2 thermisters and 2 heaters. And you've had the head apart. So you can access the contacts...
    Do a open circuit test on the two heaters and see if they read identical...
    And do some measurements on the thermisters. You might need more than one to establish a curve by powering on the heater (maybe a low output wall wart).

Where I am going with this is one thing I've noticed with 3DS general design practices... no one ever told them about 'service loops' on cables. I am just starting at the source (heaters and thermisters) and tracing those circuits back to the motherboard. That requires some impedance and a power source in some cases. Basically, what is the total voltage loss between the heater and the motherboard (V across the two motherboard output pins|V across the two heater pins). If you find a substantial difference between left and right, you can see if one leg has excessive impedance. I don't know the best way to test thermisters in-situ. Should be similar.

So once your proven the heaters and thermisters are identical [enough]; and your proven your power losses in the cables are reasonable and alike, left to right, then it is the motherboard that has a bug in the bonnet. That could be something like a lazy FET or a cold solder joint.

I will give you one other parallel option; email the 3DS Cubify people. They are the warranty people still on staff selling cartridges. They have access to some good info and they seem to be bored enough to take an interest in people's issues. They may even give you the history of the temp errors.

I know this is a lot of work, but you and I both know that this is analysis at its best. And I know... better you then me

And let me reiterate one more time where you can force this error... because I do this dumb thing all too often; Chip|no hotend=Error Hotend|no chip=Error.
    It took a while for this to sink in but it always generates T<something> errors on the side of the oversight.

- - - - - - - - - -

Okay, I did dig this up from 3DS' 'final word'...

https://3dsystems.sharefile.com/shar...2b3a8a0a5424f8

3DS throws their hands up at persistent temp problems as the heater block is not a serviceable part.
    However, they suggest using the functional side, if there is one, to tour heart's content.