Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Printing ABS with no ABS cartridge (PLA cartridge only)

Hi all,

I've read through a good few threads trying to find the answer but haven't found it. I have a cube 3 printer with 2 PLA cartridges but I would like to do the firmware hack and eventually the cartridge mod to use bulk filament. My question is; as i only have PLA cartridges will i need to track down an ABS cartrige to use abs or does the firmware hack allow you to control the print settings to adjust to printing ABS using the PLA cartridge?

Many thanks,

David

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey David,

I don't think so this will help you in anyway as you have to adjust the setting of the printer and moreover the result will not be upto your expectation. So, it's better you buy another ABS cartridge for printing.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Susanne View Post
    Hey David,

I don't think so this will help you in anyway as you have to adjust the setting of the printer and moreover the result will not be upto your expectation. So, it's better you buy another ABS cartridge for printing.
    Thank you for the reply. However not the answer I was hoping for 😂🙈. Been searching in vein for an abs cartridge for a while now. I shall keep looking. Thank you again for the reply.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a better answer for you Monkey...

Yes you can use PLA chips for ABS prints but it requires some file manipulation, which I recommend anyway.
    Basically, you are going to make an ABS print and change the material calls in the header of the file to PLA.

Find BuddyBu's file editor and you can see how this works.

When you install the modified FW, be sure to be very patient after it asks you to push the power button for a reboot.
    It takes a bit for the power to come back on. (edit: I timed the last update after pushing the power button and I got exactly 20 seconds before the lights came back on)

Also don't forget about the ReCube wand option.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 08-06-2019 at 10:29 PM.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    @Combat_monkey if you need help with the editor, please feel free to reach out to me. TD has been very instrumental in helping me tune the editor and supporting utilities.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Question: Does the Cube 3 firmware do anything differently for an ABS cartridge vs a PLA cartridge?
    Is there any reason why I can't wire a chip permanently to the contacts, and therefore not need the original cartridge case or a fancy chip switcher gadget?

Hypothesis:
    Cube 3 firmware processes the .cube3 file instructions the same way regardless of the filament type so long as the E1/E2 values agrees with the chip filament type. That is to say, it makes no difference whether the cartridge chip is ABS or PLA; the firmware will handle each instruction in the file the same way. The only requirement is that the chip filament type agrees with the E1/E2 value. Of course the instructions in the file will be different depending on what filament you are actually using.

Conclusion:
    If I am always massaging the print file for other reasons, I only need one chip permanently connected on each side of the printer. I can choose ABS or PLA chips (or one of each if I am masochistic!) and then when I mod the file always make the Exx values = an ABS color or a PLA color, respectively.

(And FWIW, you can always set Exx to the same color code of the correct material type, to simplify editing - the printer will complain about color mismatch, but will print anyway. For example, if I have wired in PLA chips, I can set E1=84, E2=84 no matter what color the filament actually is. In fact, if I program the chips to Blue PLA, the printer won't even complain.)

True?

Is there any evidence the firmware does anything differently for any given instruction depending on filament type?
    Does it accelerate differently for a G1 command when printing ABS vs PLA?
    Would it retract any differently for a "M227 P375 S375 G400 F800" command for a PLA vs ABS chip?
    Last edited by JohnTee; 08-10-2019 at 03:44 AM.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something like this would be nice...

- - - - - - - - - -

A few observations not exactly following your reasoning but logic instead;

1) You can't have a chip installed if the extruder is missing - Error condition and throws out a Txx error.
    2) Your CubePrint app look for the right chip being present when you do use the quick and dirty method. Throw it on the plate and run. The app looks to see if the chip matches the material you chose.
    3) The switch method will work but you still have to keep track. Basically, 5 chips in a machine has got you covered.
    4) I prefer the recommended material in the file headers so I don't mess up. You can tell the Cube "PLA" all you want but it will happily fry the filament at 265C if the file was meant to be ABS. So no, the header info is just to inform other systems of Cube-Readiness-Status. There are no additional safeguards. I'd set it up this way in a pinch, but I'd be damn sure to note in the filename that it is sliced for ABS.

Don't forget there is material type in the sidewalk and support calls. This could confuse apps and annoy but survive F/W. Now that we can piece together the whole file for WiFi submission, these little things may just matter.

But no, you need a way to turn a chip off unless you really want that second tip present at all times.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Likes buddybu liked this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like that.

Does this say that INF can only be printed in the right extruder? Or is that just convention?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Infinity on right is to minimize the logic options to something manageable. Cube3 doesn't have rules; only CubePro has silly rules.