Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

CR 10 Clone CTC printing oblongs not squares - Y Axis less than X on Squares.

Hi All.

Can anyone help.

It's a CTC 10 (Creality CR10 clone/copy).

If I print a perfect square it will come out oblong. IE the X Axis is twice as long as the Y.

I know what your thinking.... Tensioners, belts etc etc... been through and tightened everything no effect.

If it was a slipping belt / grub screw etc I would expect to see inconsistent results but the side walls are always bang on just not square.

Tried moving the stepper motors while they are engaged on the X + Y and I can't get them to slip.

Thought I'd run it past the experts before I rip open the PSU and start adjusting the stepper motor voltage controllers - vr's.

I doubt it's my Cura slicing software the stock examples provided with the printer also elongated.

Any help welcomed.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is likely a scaling factor setting somewhere but it should default to 1:1.
    The only other time I've seen this is when the factory put the wrong pulley on the belt drive.
    How far is it off?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi TommyDee.
    Thanks for the reply.

I designed a 4cm cube in Freecad and sliced it in Cura 15. After printing I measured both sides. One was 3.97cm ish - pretty darn close.
    The other was 3.5cm.
    I managed to find the motor control settings "Control" and adjusted the movement mm for Y axis from the default 80 to 92 - complete guess.
    The cube printed 3.97cm x 4.07 so I was chuffed, however tried to print a simple nut and bolt which was all over the place, the thread being badly elongated again in the same direction on the X.

I'll try swaping the X and Y stepper motors later tonight. If it prints elongated in the opposite direction I should be able to eliminate stepper motor and pulleys etc (if it works).

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    You found the compensation factor in the 'control'. It sounds like it is not remaining if it only took for one print. If that is the case, there is probably a settings file somewhere that this needs your change to be made permanent.