Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Printing just stops

I got a CR-10 a few weeks back, finally got it up and running and after some trial and error was printing like a pro and had multiple successful prints of miniatures for games of D&D. Then one day the printing would start fine and then about three to five minutes into the printing the printing just stops.

The bed is heating fine as is the nozzle, I even took that assembly apart to make sure I did not have a clog and everything was fine. The bed is level and I cannot see any issues with the SD card and the files slice and load onto the SD card without any problems. So I have troubleshot this as much as my skill will go. Is this a software issue? Is there something else I have not noticed?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum kimjallman.

Printers tend to have a housekeeping sub-level code that tells the machine what to do in case of an anomaly to one of its sensors. A sensor could be over-current on a stepper motor or an unexpected temperature reading from a thermister. The machine could be experiencing insufficient power if a power supply has degraded or a cable connection has become loose or otherwise has changed impedance. It is very difficult to say on the face of it what may be causing the machine to think it needs to shut itself off.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm...I am uncertain as to how to determine that, or what to do. This is frustrating after having such initial success.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I had more experience with CR10 so I could offer better information. The fact that the printer did function well does help. That just means something has deteriorated.

I also may have misread your issue. It is not the printer that stops... just extrusion, right?

One other thing I know to check is something to do with clearance between a Teflon tube in the hotend and the nozzle.

Also, a personal favorite... Bowden tube too small? I test this with filament that has been run through the grippers several times and is well deformed from doing so. If that causes resistance in your bowden tube, then it could be getting stuck in there if the print has a huge number of retractions. This was an issue with my printers that is solved by ensuring a 2mm -minimum- inside diameter in the bowden tube.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    I wish I had more experience with CR10 so I could offer better information. The fact that the printer did function well does help. That just means something has deteriorated.

I also may have misread your issue. It is not the printer that stops... just extrusion, right?

Well that is a good question, the printing will start off just fine then gets perhaps a couple of minutes into the process then just stops (the entire nozzle assembly) and just sits there as if waiting for something else to happen.

One other thing I know to check is something to do with clearance between a Teflon tube in the hotend and the nozzle.

My first thought was I had a blockage and I took apart the nozzle assembly and everything was fine. I turned up the temperature on the PLA and pushed the filament through without any problems.

Also, a personal favorite... Bowden tube too small? I test this with filament that has been run through the grippers several times and is well deformed from doing so. If that causes resistance in your bowden tube, then it could be getting stuck in there if the print has a huge number of retractions. This was an issue with my printers that is solved by ensuring a 2mm -minimum- inside diameter in the bowden tube.
    So your suggestion is to replace the Bowden tube next I take it? I do have a spare but it is the same size. I will see what I can find online. If you have any suggestions for sources of part please let me know.

Thanks

- - - - - - - - - -

So after some more research it seems it is not uncommon for the nozzle assembly to just fail. Most likely a sensor issue. I have pretty much eliminated most of the other possible problems. I noticed that there are a plethora of replacement kits offered online. So a bit of deductive reasoning here might suggest that is my next step. I did find this kit online on Amazon and there are higher end kits offered by a Swiss company.

https://www.amazon.com/CREALITY-Prin.../dp/B078MSLF7P

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh no, I was suggesting testing the current tube to see if this is indeed what is happening. However, an upgrade like that would be nice

One thing that I should have also mentioned is the possibility that it could be something like a clog, that strips the filament, that stops filament advancement. A "stripped filament" is where the drive motor pushes filament but the 'bite' from the gear has stripped away plastic and the ability to push the filament further. This is a common occurrence will all bowden tube printers. The stripping of the filament is a secondary cause as whatever kept filament from flowing would be the primary cause. Wrong temp for the material is a common factor.