Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah okay, I was doing them one at a time figuring that if it failed, I would at least have a couple finished pieces rather than a bunch of half-finished ones. The housing printed pretty well though.

I guess I'll try two cores at a time?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure

When you get these things to survive the slicer, you want to give this one a try: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3221010
    Last edited by TommyDee; 10-08-2019 at 07:27 AM.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doing two cores at a time worked a lot better. I ended up taking a 10 mm drill bit with a wrench on the end to bore out a bit of the housing to get the core to fit. I still need to get the tubing in and clean up the holes for the retaining clip.

When I left off I had two prints fail because of filament breaking before the extruder hub which is annoying. This should be one fewer failure point though.

- - - - - - - - - -

Another failed print, this time using the new extruder head. I suspect I don't have the spacing of the tube inside right or something. Or maybe my fittings need their edges rounded (I guess they're not intended for solid material to pass through to be fair).

Also I screwed up another piece of stock tubing while trying to get the extruder assembly together. I had to cut another piece out of a stock extruder head. Is there any substitute for that? Other than trimming down 3 mm tubing by hand or on a lathe or something.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't found any. One thing to look for is sphincter-ing of the end of the tube if there is build-up in the bottom of the stainless tube. Is it just failing to extrude?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah about 5-10 minutes in it stopped extruding. I just pulled it apart, it looks like the filament broke before the extruder. It seems like it's having a hard time making it through the bulkhead.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the hole in your fittings of sufficient size? I have had a few that had a fairly small hole and the filament barely fit through it.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once it's through it can move freely, but it does occasionally catch on the fitting I think. I could hear the filament scraping but I'm not sure whether the fitting is too small or there's a misalignment in there.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know what the Cube3 can do so getting to that point shouldn't be too hard.

When I put the tube in the printed extruder housing, I aim for no more than .01" or 1/4mm shorter tube than the final length. Final length being slightly retracted from fully seating in the heater block. This ensures no melt bulb develops under the end of the tube near the nozzle and that there is no pressure on the tube making either end 'gather' effectively reducing the ID. That is why you do not want a chamfer on the exit side of the PC4 fitting. Knowing that the PTFE tube is fully seated means you are able to stuff 20mm of PTFE tube into the stainless tube.