Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Cube question.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Cube question.

I have updated the firmware. Currently have the stock pla in place. All other set ups have been done. When I click the print icon it informs me that a new cartridge has been detected. I go thru the setup of the pulling the current cartridge and replacing it. Then it tells me it is heating and getting ready. After it's done I hit the print icon it tries to go thru the entire process again. Any help would be great. I've cleaned the contacts on the printer and the chip on the cartridge with a clean clothe. Thanks

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    The F/W upgrade requires cartridges to be initialized. Chip still at 100% will not work in the case of using the USB drive and until the buffer of the printer is filled, you can also not submit prints from CubePrint 4.03 until the chip reads less than 100%. Eventually the printer will take prints from CubePrint if the cartridge is 100% but that is the only time this will work.

People will swap the F/W back to original for this initialization process.

Since then good people have learned to rewrite the data on the chips. If you have any electronics in your background, you might look into Building Tomuro's Circuit.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the heads up. What if I went and did a test print to bring it down from 100% would that do the trick with out the need to swap out the F/W?

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes. That is exactly what I had to do. doesn't matter if it is a test print or a regular file, just as long as it is not an enormous file to deplete the filament, just get it below 100 and obviously above 1. Like the guru TD said, put the non hacked F/W back on, do a print, reflash hacked F/W, enjoy HOURS of printing fun without the care of forking out $$ for new cartridges!!
    Last edited by ztoddman1; 10-08-2019 at 10:50 PM.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ what he said!

Just so you understand the reasoning behind this;
    The F/W upgrade stops the F/W from writing to the chip.
    That doesn't mean the F/W doesn't want to try to confirm that it wrote to the chip.
    The F/W treats a 100% chip differently than a chip with less than 100% on it.

But there is a buffer somewhere on the motherboard that fills up with a list of "I need to write data to N# of cartridges when they show up" and it keeps a list. And eventually the list fills up because the lack of being able to write to chips keeps it from purging entries from the list and suddenly 100% carts begin to work from the CubePrint app simply because the cartridge tracker buffer is full up. But at that point, when you try to run from a USB drive, it still wants to go through that initialization routine which it cannot complete. Strange quirk of the F/W upgrade but it makes sense in what I've experienced in earlier hacks that didn't play out in the least. There is a very aggressive chip write routine built into the F/W. Like elephants, it remembers!

So now we can also reset the chip with ReCube That solved my 100% chip problems where I use to have a spare printer called HotBot for initializing chips.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 10-09-2019 at 01:57 AM.