Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

REVIEW: Rapide Lite 200 + AstroPrint = Successful print!

We'll see, but i decided to upload a thingiverse .STL file straight to AstroPrint, slice with it, generate Gcode with it, importing it to Repetier with NO changes on advanced settings and setting quality to HIGH.

Seeing results in a few minutes!

RESULTS & REVIEW

OK to put things back in perspective, I got the Rapide Lite in late december. This is a print that failed due to printing sticking out of the bed on the very first layers. I was using PLA over kapton tape with suggested temp settings (190/55).

This was the result:

(note the vast amount of internal support that would have required cleanup afterwards)

Then had an extruder issue that left me out of printing for a month... Yesterday I got a new extruder, so i completely replaced the faulty one. First thing I checked visually was the cogging wheel, an issue that it has been finally addressed from factory. I installed the extruder and noticed that the fans are still operating wrong (ie vertical fan always on, horizontal lower fan stopped). I cursed myself for not having taken the time to invert the wiring on the DB9, but I guess I'll follow the invert fan possibility later.

ANYHOW, I went ahead and picked up a can of hairspray "extra-strong" and sprayed a new kapton tape applied to the bed.

Then loaded the same .STL (from thingiverse) that failed previously ontro AstroPrint, a "slicer in the cloud" that also allows you to set up several printers, several filaments, several parameters and quality presets. There were so many options that besides the filament size (1.75), temperatures (190/55 again) and priting area (190x3), the ONLY OTHER SETTING i touched was choosing the "high quality preset".

Then sliced it in virtually 10 seconds (as slic3r takes 3-4 minutes) and allowed me to download locally the generated gcode file.

Then opened repetier host (it still has all the settings that Rapide suggested in the very first time, havent played with them at all!) and launched the print, crossing fingers.

THe print was estimated to last 6h at high quality so I left home. Today I arrive at the office....and i'm simply speechless!!!

The quality obtained is OUTSTANDING! pics dont do any justice!

As you can see, the cleaningness of the inside is simply awesome and the threaded screw is completely clean and works like a charm!

There's no moiree effect that would annoy your view:

And the best part of all. This is the ONLY debris that got "wasted" out of this print!

CONCLUSIONS:

On the PROs side:

- Fast slicing
    - Headacheless settings: simply choose bed size, filament size, temperatures and printing area, then choose HIGH QUALITY and launch!
    - Awesome print quality achieved!
    - No painters tape required with PLA+Hairspray, the stickeness was simply AWESOME and even hard to peel! (ie no tape cleanup afterwards)
    - Clean results! (no support cleanup!)
    - Very low debris volume (smart, efficient, cheap!)

On the CONs side:
    - Slow printing

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice results! Was your new extruder identical to the old one or new new?
    Will have to read up on AstroPrint to see what it offers

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds excellent and prints are looking great. I too may have to look into setting this up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thing is once you "create" printer and filament on Astroprint, you just need to upload/download any files, 2 clicks and launch print

The new extruder is identical in shape but with aluminium casing rather than printed casing. Of course, wheels properly aligned and working flawlesly "right out of the box".

Wohoo!

Ps. just placed an order of sorted printing filaments on 3DPrima, we'll see!!

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really don't mean to be the negative nelly here but just a heads up that my extruder's hobbed feeder wheel was also lined up correctly and printed fine "out of the box" but they barley tightened the set screw on it and that paired with a perfectly round motor shaft ment that after a week of perfect printing the set screw finally got loose enough and the wheel free spun out of alignment.

I'm just saying if it was me I would actually tighten the hobbed wheel down myself or at least confirm it's set screw is tightened down really good

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep i need to open it to swap fans so i'll double check, thanks!

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bolsoncerrado,

On Astroprint, did you have to add start & end commands in the Advanced Printer Settings?

Post Thanks / Like
    No, i dont recall having done that.

I've pasted the settings here.