Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Replacement for the hotends?

Last I read someone was working on a brass replacement for the aluminum hotend. One of my two just broke and I was looking to see if anyone knows where that ended up or if im crazy. Finding used cartridges is near impossible and new stock is still generally in the 40$ range which is well outside of my price range. I have gone through probably 15 printed print heads but this is the first time the actual hotend broke. I think I have 200ish hours on it.

Hope all is well with everyone. THanks.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did see that on Facebook also. No clue as to what happened to that effort.

But if you need some carts, I can help you but they still cost a bit to ship.
    I have a good collection of older ABS carts. I was going to rework them for B2B carts but that too is a lot of effort.

The best solution is 2 carts in a single flat rate large USPS box. Best I can do on the cart is $25/each.

Just putting it out there. I did contact the ruby-tipped makers to see if they were interested and they just laughed.

But you did notice that these tips last a good long time if you are careful about what you run through it.
    I wouldn't doubt it if we found out these are actually forged or coined. Looking at the inside bore shows it is not a simple machining operation.

I did ruin one tip in all these years - carbon contamination from an overheating.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have only ever run PLA through mine. I love 3D printing but I only use mine for probably 20ish hours a month. I find that the 3d printed nozzles warp (probably because im using PLA) and they are fairly difficult to remove from the printer when needed. THe amount of force I have to use feels wrong and im certain that is what lead to this failure of mine.

I found an ebay seller selling packs of 4 new carts for 99$ but they are all the same cart. I have emailed them to see if they would sell me 2 ABS and 2 PLA carts in that same deal. If they agree, ill probably go that route as that will give me 4 new hotends / extruders and 2 each ABS/PLA chips to play with. If they arent, I might buy two of yours. I assume you could flash the chips to 99% ABS or PLA? If I do get new ones Ill probably take you up on your chip resetting offer and mail you them to be set to 99% so I dont have to reflash my firmware to initialize the carts.

Do you know if either the hotends components or extruder are different between the ABS and PLA carts?

Thanks for the replay as always.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    The carts are identical except for the divot marking the material type on the filament driver.

I do like the $99/4 each shipped deal. Let's see if they will mix them up for you. That is a great deal to get spare parts.

Of course I'd be happy to reset chips regardless of where they came from. Just know that the carts I have in stock are all sealed at this point.

So far I am very happy with the way my printed nozzles are holding up. I print them in ABS but even when they were PLA they seems to maintain shape.
    There are several versions out there now. I'm perfectly happy with my ABS printed nozzles. Have not replaced one yet.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    nozzle_warped.jpg
    Here you see my nozzles warped. I basically print a new one every 3 months or so, usually like 50+ hours. What nozzle design are you using?

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    use TommyDees design. I have had only 1 problem with it but it was, uh, user error.
    http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...-Universal-Hub
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3804561/files
    works quite delicious when you are wanting to swap filament or fixing a jam.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was one of the first designs.

If that fitting is tapped for M5, try this one sometime: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2591654
    I've tested it printing PLA without issue.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much TommyDee and ztoddman1. I ended up trying TommyDee's suggested nozzle and wow is the assembly SOO much easier. Not to mention the first print so far looks to be much cleaner. I look forward to using this new version. At least one thing positive came out of this. Thanks all.

9. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Merry Christmas WinterWarg.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    This nozzle is producing the best first layers I think I have ever gotten out of this machine.

12. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post