Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

just laws of physics or bad design?

I had very good results with my CR10s printing PLA even though I have a bowed glass plate.(printing in small select areas only for now)
    Then comes ABS. Total disaster every try. The first layer just would not stick and I changed all possible variables.
    After days of frustration I found it. I set the nozzle distance at 0.1mm at room temperature (25C). Just heating the bed to 70C increases
    the distance to 0.3mm. So I have to level the bed hot. That means when the head goes into home position and the bed cools down, the nozzle
    will be pressed into the glass.
    Is that something I just have to live with? Do other printers have the same issue?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting finding nadelman. I use the canned Cube3 printer. They have a standard gap of say 220 micron (0.22mm). On top of that, they add additional gap with the slicer. Therefore, my initial 0.22mm gap will go to 0.47mm to the plate because the first layer is set to print at 0.25mm. Therefore, I add the gap to the initial layer height to come up with how large the gap is when printing commences.

You might be able to do the same with your slicer. Basically set the gap at 0.1 knowing it will go to 0.3 so you take the 0.2mm away from your initial layer height instead.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    didn't think of that, a common problem to over complicate things. Time to take a brake .I will try tomorrow, thanks

- - - - - - - - - -

unfortunately not working, it made things worse right from the beginning. At least now I understand what is responsible for the first layer.
    It is the software sending a certain amount of material to be extruded depending on layer height and speed. Reducing the 1st layer height
    just reduces extruded material. It has no effect on the z-position and can print into thin air. I ordered a new borosilicate plate
    and hopefully no more problems.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. Yes, the first layer on mine extrudes a bit more and moves a little slower. The nozzle is 0.4mm I can watch the printer lay down the first trace and there is still a little bit of clearance to the nozzle. Obviously that requires really good adhesion. But that is how I like my first layer. looks like a bunch of wet spaghetti noodles all neatly sorted. Mind you - 0.22+0.25=0.47 and the nozzle is 0.4 so I am seeing a 70 micron gap above the trace being lain to the nozzle.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    The factory glass plate caused all the problems. With a new 3mm borosilicate plate I can print ABS with no problems. No bulge or warping when heated.
    I thought it was me and my settings because I am new to 3D printing. I never expected a part of a new printer to be the problem.

6. Likes TommyDee liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent! Happy printing!

...and wishing you a Happy New Year!