Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only way I have had any success getting ABS to stick is using ABS juice, which is acetone with a few bits of ABS dissolved in it. Just dip a tissue in it & wipe it over the bed (I am using Kapton tape on the original aluminium) & good to go. I have been printing ABS with bed temp 85 deg & usually the biggest problem I have is getting the parts off they stick that well.

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds about THE solution, ranwell.

Justin, keep us posted on the juice

Ranwell, do you know the proportion? or any amount disolved will do?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn't find any proportions anywhere, doesn't seem too critical, I put approx 200ml acetone in a jar & I guess roughly 10 pieces of ABS about 5cm long should be enough, just ends up looking like coloured water.
    I did read somewhere that too much ABS dissolved in wont stick as good, but I have had no problems so far & haven't been too fussy with how much I put in.

4. Thanks bolsoncerrado thanked for this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the bed heating issue, I can't get past about 65C and even then it takes an extraordinary amount of time, like 20 mins or more. I find it very time wasting.

Any ideas anyone?

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get some expanded polystyrene (I'm using some from the original printer packing) and cover the bed while you're pre-heating. That'll get you up to temp quicker.
    You'll even get higher temperatures with this, but that won't help as it'll cool back down to 65 once you remove the insulation and start printing. I was in a similar situation, though I was able to squeeze about 75°C out of mine. I've since made a few changes and can now print around 100°C though it still takes 10 or so minutes to get up to temp.

First off, you'll either need to enclose your printer or alternatively locate it in a room with an air temp of around 30°C (I found the former to be the cheaper solution).
    This will reduce the convective heat loss and mitigate some of the common problems with printing ABS.

I also replaced my heatbed with one of these: http://aus3d.com.au/printer-parts/pr...k3-alu-heatbed and a pyrex glass sheet. When removing the existing heat bed i noticed that the design is pretty much exactly the same, right down to the square solder pads to add the LED indicator light, and the extra power pad to run 24V supply. I measured the resistance of both boards and they were exactly the same at about 1.4 ohms. I'd suggest disconnecting your heatbed and measuring the the resistance if you have a multimeter handy, if it's much different to 1.4 ohms I'd look at a replacement. If you're the adventurous type you can look into an external 24V supply and up the voltage on your heatbed (I'd use solid state relays). I've heard that this'll get your board up to 100°C within two minutes; I reckon I'll look into this in the near future.

Finally I've taped a sheet of cork to the underside of my heat bed to further reduce convective losses once the print commences.

With this setup I can maintain a heatbed temperature while printing of around 103°C in a room that's around 14°C ambient.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had similar problems with heating up the print bed...increased very slowly and could not get over 90degree.
    Ethan told me following step:
    1.open the bottom cover of the printer
    2. at the power supply you can see a yellow star shaped screw (see pic below)
    detail power supply.jpg
    3. use a multimeter to check the voltage
    4. slightly increase the voltage by turning the yellow screw (i increased approx. 2-3volts)

it worked for me- i could reach 100degree on the heat-bed

8. Thanks Maindog thanked for this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's awesome
    I'm guessing the voltage was 12 to begin with, so you're now at 14-15V? Or was it lower than 12?
    Last edited by Maindog; 08-15-2015 at 03:08 PM.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    it was 11.8V at my first measure (should be 12V for sure lol) currently i`m running with 13-14V
    important: increase the voltage just a little bit!
    Last edited by PRIma; 08-15-2015 at 03:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can also....

Surround your printer with cardboard or foam...
    Enclose your printer...
    Add cork under your bed....
    Change your heater bed to silicon bed...

All of the above.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Some bits and pieces to search out and try.
    With the voltage increase, is that yellow trimpot only to increase heater voltage or does it increase the voltage to everything else as well?