Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Non-threaded rod

One of my non-threaded rods is slightly bigger than the other. I measured with calipers and there is 0.02-.03 difference.One spins freely while the other is somewhat tight. Is this gonna be an issue or does that rod simply slide and not rotate? I guess I can file the inside diameter of the bearing and the hole it rests in if it has to rotate.

Edit... Forgot to mention one rod went into the bearing fairly easy, while the other initially popped the bearing out of the bracket. It had to be forced onto the rod.
    Last edited by smitty5505; 01-27-2015 at 02:39 AM.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd mention it in an email to Ethan if I were you just to be safe but as you mention it doesn't turn just a vertical guide so as long as it doesn't bind you should be ok.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you put them one side by side with the other, it's clearly bigger? or it just sits higher than the other due to scwews or metal residues?

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem, but it doesn't seem to matter. It's just a vertical guide. For me it just made it a bit of a pain to get the bearing on, but it won't actually impact your printing so long as the x-wing can move on it smoothly. I've not seen any issues with my prints because of it.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the responses. Sorry I've been kinda MIA since I made the post. I haven't had time to do much with the printer this week, but I plan to this weekend. I will report back with how it goes.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's been pretty quiet around here lately, it seems some people have a life!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeha once printer works, people forget us lol

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got my printer set up and the connection seems to be fine to my laptop. A few issues: When loading filament after I stop issuing the command to extrude filament, it continues to slowly leak filament out the end. Next all axis seem to be working except the X. The motor is spinning the belt, but I'm getting no movement. Thanks in advance

Edit....Okay so I fixed the issue with the x axis. Dummy me forgot to tighten some screws. I still havent figured out the extruder issue.
    Last edited by smitty5505; 02-02-2015 at 02:54 AM.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    The oozing from the nozzle is normal, usually when you set the temperature way too high.

Sometimes the preset / settings for the 1st couple of layers needs a higher temperature to get the layers to stick to the bed.

Usually I use 200C for the initial temperature and 190C for the main printing.

Just keep wiping off the nozzle nose with the supplied tweezer especially before the print starts, it's like babysitting a baby with drippy nose ;-)

If you are concerned that the drips will ruin your 1st layer (and it will), just set a Skirt, say a couple of loops about 5 or 6 mm away from the object. That will "prime" the nozzle and it tries to wipe it on the intial couple of loops. Then the nozzle would be clean when it gets to the main print.
    Last edited by lawong; 02-02-2015 at 07:13 AM.