Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like

Curiosity: How Loud Is Your Cube3?

I downloaded Decibel X on my iPhone and discovered my Cube reads at 57-60dB :/

Has anyone else measured their printer for noise before? Are yours as possessed by Daemons as mine is?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it is high pitch whine, yes. The filament driver motor fans are too close to the duct. You can move them back a little just by turning them slightly.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    How do you do that? I get a lot of noise from the movement of the hotend and the build plate too. On the Cube2 that I have rebuilt using a new board and TMC2209 drivers, it is really quiet.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cube3 F/W does not do micro-stepping All the case parts make noise. Fortunately it is manageable with 2 doors for me.
    However, the high pitch wine of the filament driver fans is due to a design flaw. You have to remove the front half of the case to access the screws for the fans. Basically you will be twisting the fan away from the duct it is connected to.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am glad it is not just mine, suffering loves company after all. In order to use the printer more routinely I need to translocate it from the lounge to my room, but my room doubles as an office and entertainment lounge for me so noise is an issue. I've been on the prowl for a second hand cupboard of the right dimensions to house the printer and a ton of noise isolation foam, but as of yet have not found anything suitable.

Interesting that simply twisting the fans on their mounts reduces the noise. The stepper motors are ridiculously loud on the Cube3 (well I am pretty sure it's those motors, as the sound comes during movement) but reducing the whine would be interesting. I'm no sound expert, but I think high pitched noises would be least affected by the noise isolation foam, so your comment has intrigued me. Are there any resources on what is involved to twist those fans? Or is it literally remove the shielding and twist the fans?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, simple as remove the front and twist the fan.

The squirrel cage in the fan comes too close to the duct in the plastic housing. You are getting a shear effect which generates the noise with a frequency according to the speed of the fan times the number of vanes. That is the noise that permeated the two doors that my printers are behind. I could hear the occasional motion. Normally I can hear when a print is finished.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I had an unrelated issue with the printer today and decided to attempt taking the case off and couldn't figure out which fan you said we should rotate. Is it the one in the first photo? Next to the USB port?

20200205_044746511_iOS.jpg20200205_044529754_iOS.jpg

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, rotate the one in the first photo away from the inlet duct. Both sides.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm struggling a bit with inlet duct I am afraid. Do you mean the plastic that houses the cartridge? i.e. the plastic between the bottom left screw and the USB / power ports?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a small tube going into the fan. Moving it only a few degrees is sufficient.
    To get to the screw you need to remove the inner panel. Its a bit fiddly but it does come out.
    Going back in is where you need to be careful not to pinch the fan wires.