Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Z problem / nozzle stuck touching the print

Hi all,
    it's a bit difficult to explain what is wrong.
    When i try to print a large object it goes ok for the first 5-6 layers. But at one point the nozzle is touching the printed PLA ( most of the time grid of the support ) and it simply shift the all print.

I have the filling that the head isn't lift enough.

this is what i try to do to solve the problem:
    - re-level at least 10 time. I can ensure you that my bed is level !
    - use a piece of glass (5mm) on the bed to be sure that the deformation doesn't come form the bed ( as already done by some people on the forum)
    - printing small cube of 20 x 20 mm is not a problem
    - change the setting of the printer with Cura to slow ( 40m/s )
    - add a extra lift up to the z each layer ( in the extruder setting by 0.2 )

On the last try it when wrong at the layer 5 and the print head had a z of 0.85mm ( and my printing was set up to 0.2mm per layer ) It should have been at 1.00 mm , no ?

Every suggestion welcome
    thanks
    Florian

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Firstly, did you do the z-axis check with the two calibration blocks?
    The height may be slightly less than the theory if you have told the printer to make your first layer thick/wide and if your extruder is putting out slightly less filament than expected.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BobenhamHotspur View Post
    Firstly, did you do the z-axis check with the two calibration blocks?
    The height may be slightly less than the theory if you have told the printer to make your first layer thick/wide and if your extruder is putting out slightly less filament than expected.
    yes i did ...as i said I think i did the calibration right.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbr View Post
    yes i did ...as i said I think i did the calibration right.
    I'm just checking that you have the Z-wing level, not talking about the bed being level which as you did say you had done it 10 times.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is what a print look like
    IMG_1439.JPG

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two questions.
    1 Did you have any problem threading one or both of the Z screws through the bearings of the X-wing ?
    If so you may have to turn it back and forth all across the screw in order to get it to run smooth. If you have the bearing removed from the X-wing and threaded on to the screw you should be able to get it to move quite a bit with just a snap of the finger.

2 Have you checked that both locking screws on the coupling between the Z-screw and the motor is tight ? Actually total of four lock screws to check on each side.

Your description indicates eighter to much friction to turn the Z-screws or not fastened screws.

Hope you get some ideas of what to search for.

Your picture (got up while i was writing) indicates a problem with the tension of the belt in the X-wing. The two large screws holding the housing for the motor also doubles as tensioners for the belt. Loosen them and move them so the belt is real tigth and then fasten them again.
    Last edited by sm0orb; 01-28-2015 at 10:29 PM.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    @hot spurs fan : sorry, i'm getting frustrated ! I did use the block to positioned the xwing, and if I use the manual control on repetier it move without noise
    @Smoorb : I tighten the belt , and also check for the screws ... i'm goin to re check and send a new print .

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the x-wing is not lifting correctly (you mentioned head hitting the print and prints being undersize) then as sm0orb says it sounds like the threaded rods are not secured correctly into the motors, hopefully your re-check will find something

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    One more idea.
    The hot end with nozzle and tube that is screwed in at the bottom of the extruder must be very tight. If not the nozzle will wiggle. That may lead to filament pieces placed on top of each other instead of beside. Next pass that place sticks up more than it should and if the nozzle has not wiggled the same way it will hit it.

Its several parts that need to be tight.
    The screw that leads the filament down must be locked to the bottom of the extruder by using the cooler as a stop screw tightening that to the bottom of the extruder.
    The heating block must be tight screwed on to the tube.
    And finally the nozzle must be tight to the heat block.

Been there and had to take the whole extruder apart into tiny pieces to clean it and get it together correctly again. Educational but not fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do think all the screws in this printer should be blueglued to have a nice result and not having to be calibrating it every print...