Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Easy way to mount the Kapton sheets onto the heat bed

For those who had trouble changing the Kapton sheet and struggling with creases and swearing loudly....

Here's the solution:

What you need: Windex Glass cleaner or similar (with ammonia), paper towels, old credit card.
    Kapton sheet (cut to fit the heat bed)

1. Remove all remnants of the old sheet / tape from the heat bed, clean it with alcohol if available.

2. Go get the bottle of Windex glass cleaner from the kitchen and some paper towels.

3. Spray liberally onto the heat bed. (turn off the printer !) Put paper towels below the heat bed to catch drips.

4. Peel the backing off a new Kapton sheet sticker carefully, spray the sheet (sticky side) with window cleaner as you go along.

5. Lay the now soaking wet Kapton sheet onto the heat bed and position it (slide it into the correct orientation).

6. Starting from the center of the sheet, use an old credit card as a squeegee to push the excess liquid and bubbles to the edges of the bed, catch all the drips with the paper towels so it won't go into the machine.

7. Take your time and squeegee from the center to all the four sides until it is no longer soggy and the sheet is stuck in place.

8. Turn on the printer, connect it to your favorite software and turn on the heat bed manually for about 20 mins or so.

9. Check if it is dry, when the surface does not feel rubbery but smooth and hard. Fold any left over edges of the sheet (if any) onto the sides of the heat bed, the sticky adhesive should now be sticky again.

10. Done and it looks brand new from the factory !

You can also use this method to prepare pieces of glass with Kapton sheet in place of the heat bed, it should go the same way.

Enjoy !

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great tip, if you've seen my bed you know it needs doing badly!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a cool tip, as long as window cleaner does not "eat" the adhesive on the kapton hehe You can use some soapy water too...

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Going to try and put a new sheet on using acetone to float it. I just used some acetone to clean the old sheet off of the aluminium so I know it melts the glue, but because it evaporates quickly it leaves a sticky residue, therefore I'm hoping it will still stick when dried out.

Post Thanks / Like
    This time i used cheap cologne (perfume with alcohol) and worked nice. I gave up on the BuildTak surface, not for me

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    The acetone method kind of worked. Because I was a bit slow and had to wet it a few times it did make the some of the kapton lose a bit of colour and make the acetone that dripped out yellow and in a couple of places where I squeezed the kapton its gone completely clear underneath. It ended up far from perfect but mostly usable so probably not a complete waste.

Post Thanks / Like
    Soapy water is cheaper and less harmful in general terms hehe

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    a drop of dish soap in a spray bottle.
    Spray the b ed and the sticky side of the kapton
    This trick work with anything from iPad and cell phone protectors and Kapton for 3d printers.