Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Rapide Lite 200 print layers are not aligned

I just put together my Rapide Lite 200 and the prints never turn out clean. For example, If I am printing a hollow cube, the printer needs to sprint layers of square one over other. The lower layers (about 10-15) print neatly but some layers above that are printed skewed, that is, the edges of the squares are placed a but on the inside. I am not sure what's causing this and how do I fix it. Any suggestions?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    If layer offset fore/aft, then tighten the grub screws on the Y motor (at rear under heat bed).
    Also check that belt tension spring is present and belt tension firm.

If layer offset right/left, then tighten the belt on the X axis by adjusting one or both of the tension rollers. Check the X wing motor grub screws as well. Both require a 1.5 mm hex tool. Tension rollers require 8 mm spanner and 3 mm hex tool.
    Check that a washer is present between each X axis end bearing and support chassis. Can be viewed from front if eye is level with edge of X wing and there should be a small gap above each bearing.

With power off, confirm that the X axis (Extruder etc) can be moved manually from one side to the other without any sign of binding - should be smooth all the way. Don't move it too fast as it generates electricity.
    The Y axis heat bed can be checked the same. Ensure no binding is occurring over the full travel.
    Last edited by Zl1aox; 02-03-2015 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Added more details and information from other posters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also try to provide as much info as possible: OS, printing software, slicer used, filament...

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    A photo would help a lot also

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am using Windows 8.1, Repetier Host 1.0.6, Embedded Slic3r 1.1.7, using the regular 1.75 mm filament and the default nozzle on the Q extruder I got with my Rapide Lite.

Zl1aox, can you suggest what needs to be done based on the pic. Because not all the layers are skewed in one direction only some. I am assuming if its the screw settings you are talking of then all the layers should be skewed equally.

I am attaching some pics of a hollow cube I printed and the base of a perpetual motion machine (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:331609/#files) I printed.
    IMG_0468.jpg
    IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg

Thank you all!

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm guessing your using PLA?
    Without digging deep into your print settings it looks as though your belts may need adjusting to remove any slack (probably the x-axis) so you'll need to undo the two nuts& bolts holding the Silver 3D printed box on your x-wing and pull it back slightly until the belt feels reasonably tight. Also check the y-axis belt under the print bed to see if it has a 'metal spring like thing' attached to the belt as if this is missing then your y-axis belt will probably be too loose.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Check tighten the grub screws in all axis. They may be slightly loose, and when the motor accelerates quickly during change of direction, the pulley may move a very small amount.
    2. Have you checked the extruder for correct number of steps to extrude a test length, e.g 100 mm using manual control should move the filament by 100 mm. Mine only extruded 80 mm so I increased the number of steps from 165 to 194. Refer to link on page 1 Rapide Lite 200 firmware, page 5. This may help the individual strands to merge together better.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tightened the X-axis belt and also adjusted the extruder feeder screws controlling the grip on the filament. The lower layers are printing correctly, maybe because the speed is slower. The upper layers and infill is still not clean I think thats because of the higher printing speed. What Zl1aox is suggesting about the steps seems a plausible cause.

Just to make sure you are suggesting I modify the firmware?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found on my printer that I needed to increase the amount of filament being extruded. Two parameters needed updating in the software/firmware.
    1. Check the diameter of the filament. Mine was 1.73 mm so changed the parameter of filament thickness in the slicer configuration.
    2. Confirm that extruder is extruding the correct amount commanded. If correct, no action, but, it will probably only extrude 80 mm.
    There are at least two places this can be corrected: a. By changing the multiplier in the filament setting as in 1 above. E.g change the 1 to 1.25 if only 80 mm extruded for 100 mm commanded.
    b. The better solution is to change the parameter in the firmware. For more info, please carefully read the number 1 post about the Rapide Lite 200 firmware, and review the videos as well. If you can read the EEPROM from Repetier config it can be easily updated there.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tested the length of the filament extruded for 100mm. It was close to 98mm, but I will attribute that to measurement error to human error and because the filament extruded is not entirely straight. But when I use the other manual extrusion button in Repetier which increases the speed of extrusion (the one on bottom right in the image below), very little filament is extruded.
    Screen Shot 2015-02-03 at 10.31.39 PM.png

Also, I hear clicking sound in the filament feeder at faster extrusion speed. So what I am saying is that the extrusion is not proper at faster speed maybe thats what causing the infills to be bad. I am not sure how do I fix it, I have tried tightening the grub screws on the extruder that adjust the grip on the filament but it doesn't seem to help.