Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Question CR-20 Pro - Z zeroing observation / problem?

Hi,
    I just set up my first 3D printer, a Creality 3D CR-20 Pro. I was underwhelmed by the instructions in the box but quickly found a YouTube video (3D Printing Canada) that nicely led me through the process. I zeroed the Z axis by lowering 0.1 mm at a time until the piece of paper started to catch. But what I found (and I repeated the exercise a couple of times) is that on the way down it goes about 0.2 mm farther than on the way up. In other words, I march down 0.1mm at a time and it catches at say -2.2. Then I start back up and it stays caught until -2.0. I go up to -1.9 and back down and it catches at -2.0. But that first cycle it goes past.

I went ahead and set it to -2.0 where it consistently caught after a cycle. The test print did some odd things on the very first layer but I think that had more to do with my not pushing the filament through far enough (orange packing filament or whatever it is still coming out for the first 10 cm or so).

Is this a problem or just an interesting quirk of the printer (or all printers)?

Thanks,
    Steve

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum Acmartina. I do not own a CR-anything so I can't say with certainty why this could be happening. The only thing i could suggest is knowing for sure there isn't any mechanical stickiness to the system right where you are trying to zero the machine.

Is it possible to lower or raise the entire build plate so you can confirm that you can step 0.1mm at a time in a different Z position? Or maybe do the same test with several sheets of paper just to know of the resistance is messing with the readout?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. The test prints (a dog that came with it and the 3DBenchy boat) came out fine so I think Iím just going to leave it alone for now 😃

4. Likes TommyDee liked this post