Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How to move print head out of the way?

I've had my Creality 3D CR-20 Pro a few days now and successfully printed quite a few things. At the end of each print the head moves off to the side out of the way, but the head is still only a centimeter or two off the build plate making it awkward to remove and replace the magnetic pad. This is a bigger problem when a print goes wrong and you have to stop it mid-print.

How does one manually move it up a bit? Surely there is a way to move the head around without resorting to gcode?

Thanks,
    Steve

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you send a post processing command to drive the bed to where you want it? A 'presentation' position if you will.

Again, not up on CR-anything. I would assume you could hack the code the put home wherever you want it.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tommy. Yea the slicer has a editable start and end code but my gcode skills are minimal. What it does is moves the X, Y to one corner (presumably the stops or near to them) but leaves Z where it ended up more or less, presumably to not hit the model while travelling to the corner. For a tall model, it is no problem. But for a short model it can be quite low. Ideally I would like it to go up say 50 mm from wherever it ends unless it is already near the Z stop. The end code looks like this -

;End GCode
    M104 S0 ;extruder heater off
    M140 S0 ;heated bed heater off (if you have it)
    G91 ;relative positioning
    G1 E-1 F300 ;retract the filament a bit before lifting the nozzle, to release some of the pressure
    G1 Z+0.5 E-5 X-20 Y-20 F{travel_speed} ;move Z up a bit and retract filament even more
    G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops, so the head is out of the way
    M84 ;steppers off
    G90 ;absolute positioning
    M81
    ;{profile_string}

So I am guessing the two lines I highlighted in red are telling it to move up 0.5mm (G1 Z+0.5) and then move to the X and Y stops (G28 X0 Y0)
    If I change it to say G1 Z+30 will that move it up 30 mm at the end? I

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Careful with the Z. If this G1 understands Z to mean increment, then yes. And a positive value would increment upward which is what you want. You might try "2" first in case it decides to crash back into the model by 1.5mm. If 2 moves in the right direction, then indeed you should be able to give it a bigger value.

However, you can also make it park in a specific location. Is this end g-code from some recipe? It appears to be a very safe thing.

Once you get better at g-code, you can write the post routine as a 'go to a specific location - x, y, & z'. Someone probably already has this just waiting for the ask.

Where is that someone... "HEY"

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tried it and it worked fine Took it in steps as suggested. Ended up with G1 Z+20.
    Thanks for the help

6. Likes TommyDee liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Always love a happy ending Acmartina Happy printing!