Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Printer stops after ~30+ minutes

I'm using repetier-host and slicing using Slic3r and I'm having a problem where prints start ok and get 30min or so in before just stopping. There is no random clicking noise or anything when it stops, the extruder just stays in the same place. Looking at the log, there are no errors reported and the it just shows the last line of g-code executed with nothing after it. If I click emergency stop in repetier and I can then get manual control back of the extruder and then start printing again.

Any ideas if this is a software issue or hardware problem?

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you check if the slicing is completed in repetier-host?

Run the slicer (don't click on the checkbox to start print just yet)

Go to the preview menu/window, click on show complete code to show the completed slice.

If it is not showing the full picture, or shows partial then the slicing has failed (didn't work with Slic3R 1.25)

Also I found that random electrical noises would sometimes kill the print when I unplug a power cord (without switching off the appliance) or even sometime the room lights. I think if the earthing / grounding is not good then noises gets to the USB data and screws it up, breaking the G-code chain, hence the computer and printer waits for the next code forever (ack/nack).

Check your electrical earth (you should have one) and possibly add ferrite cores to the cable / or change to a shorter cable.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Slicing is definitely completing, I can also manually restart the print from where it stopped by editing the g-code and telling the print to start from the failure point. But this is getting tedious and it seems like the longer I get into a print the more it pauses.

I tried printing from an SD card and I get the same behaviour.

Thinking that there must be a power fault on the controller board or power supply that is causing it to abort the print.

Nothing shows up in the log though when I am printing from repetier.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cshaw85 View Post
    ........I tried printing from an SD card and I get the same behaviour....
    Was this using filename auto0.g and rebooting printer with SD card in the slot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Repetier is no longer reliable to continuous printing Im afraid.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the SD card print was with the automatic boot from SD card with filename auto0.g

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some have tried removing the short USB lead from the board to the casing in order to improve connectivity, and someone found a bad connection on the heater connector/thermistor connector in the base and so a quick check for loose/damaged wires would probably not go amiss.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    This sounds exactly like the problem I was having. I'm not sure exactly what fixed it as I did a few things.

My extruder and print cooling fans were switched so I resoldered those, and while I was at it I also resoldered the wires for the extruder. I then secured those thin wires so they couldn't bend and potentially break.

After that I tried an SD card print that ran for 12 hours and it finished without issue. Up until then I'd never pulled off a print longer than 30 minutes.

I rearranged my desk to move the usb cable from behind my wifi router and started using an old XP netbook to control the printer. I have a short USB cable that goes from the netbook to the printer with nothing else around. I've now managed to use Repetier to do prints as long as 5 hours from that netbook without issue. I don't know which of those things fixed it, or if perhaps it was a combination of them, but hopefully this helps.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just tried another print using Cura, similar behaviour after about 20min. This time though the extruder paused for about 10sec and the moved about 30cm in the y direction and 5cm in the x direction (no z change) and would then extrude for about 5sex before moving again in the exact same pattern, this kept continuing until the y-axis hit it's limit and I cut the power because the stepper wasn't happy.

Also tried another print from an SD card and it randomly stopped then started the object all over again but ajacent to the one it was just halfway through.

I'm pretty sure I have ruled out the following:
    - Bad slicing or file (have tried 5 different prints and have tried slic3r and cura for slicing and repetier and cura as the host)
    - USB problem (having similar problems when printing standalone from SD card)

No errors are being output by the board.

Have checked all motor wiring and temp sensor wiring and had already removed the squashed extruder stepper wiring from the back of the D9 backshell and there was no damage to those wires.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems to point to the controller board going potty.... maybe reflash the firmware ?