Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Problem with Repetier Host on Windows

Has anyone seen this problem: Repetier Host works fine in manual mode (all command are sent with no problems--extruder movement, heating, etc.), but if I import any STL file and slice it (using slic3r or cura), it seems to immediately loose communications with the printer; the slicing works fine, but after sending the first command (or maybe a few), it just sits there forever waiting for the extruder to heat up. Of course, nothing is actually happening. Resetting, power-cycling, and/or unpulgging/plugging the USB gets me back to being able to use manual mode. I've found nothing to get past this. I have set all the printer and slic3r settings to those recommended by Rapide.

Any thoughts? How do I troubleshoot it?

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried pre-heating both the bed and extruder prior to the slicing?

Once the slicing is done, you can click on the print and under the manual menu see if the pre-heat temp is changed to the slic3r settings.

Is the bed / extruder hot? Maybe the thermistor is out. Check with a temperature probe (or your fingers ;-( )

Also try this: turn over the printer and open up the bottom plate, unplug the USB mating cable and plug in your usb straight.
    There are some reports of cable damage due to the very tight fit.

Good luck

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Comms problems seems to be an ever increasing problem, there must be something about the set up that causes interference.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've given up on Repetier, it's a PITA when you disconnect the printer for whatever reason and need to have it "back"...

Octoprint hasnt failed me yet, ever.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bolsoncerrado View Post
    Octoprint hasnt failed me yet, ever.
    Yes, I'm convinced I have a software problem. There does not appear to be any issue with the printer hardware (I can make it do anything, and it responds as I expect, in manual mode), but once it starts sending commands to do a print, it fails right away.

I'd like to give Octoprint a try. Do you have any recommended settings for with the Rapide 200?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, do you (or does anyone) have any thoughts on the need to upgrade the printer firmware? I've seen a few notes on this, but nothing definitive, and as far as I can tell, it would go from 1.0 to 1.0.2.

Post Thanks / Like
    So far I dont find upgrading the firmware is advisable "yet"... Not "worth yet". I'm sure it can still be squeezed and finetuned, but so far I've got enough awesome quality with stock 1.0.0.

Re Octoprint, when you set up the printer, you just match the settings with Repetier or any other software.

I've sent all my prints thru Astroprint which uses Cura, but for whatever reason, I get better results THRU Astroprint than my own Cura slicing. I guess they just fine tune their Cura slicing settings "on the go" and using "High Quality" preset always makes "miracles" with my print.

The only "but" is that it seems they've now limited upload size of the files to 50mb max

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    got this reply from repetier after asking about com issue

The commands waiting happens if usb driver connects but we get no recogniceable response. Make sure it resets firmware if possible. Normally it is wrong baudrate. If you have repetier firmware and lcd display you can see baudrate in confugarion->general. To change baudrate change it there and go up and select store to eeprom.

any thoughts on this? and how would I go about doing this?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting, and it certainly makes sense, but I don't have the LCD display. My "working theory" is that something that slic3r does at the start of the job is "breaking" the communications link, but I have not found a way yet to debug this (i.e. "tap" the USB and see what is actually being sent; I'm looking for a software way to do this).

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like