Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

cube 3 filament size?

Does anyone know the exact filament size I need to get for the cube 3 after I update the firmware with the cubetoolbox patch fix? Is it the same size as the original proprietary cartridges?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, 1.75mm.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! I can start looking for some online and try out the new firmware patch to bypass the proprietary filament cartridges. Thanks TD. Hope it works. I'll report back to the forum on the results.

4. Likes TommyDee liked this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is it? Just measured some original filament, and its 1.7mm, got some other filament that is 1.75mm and it breaks time to time...

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are two generic sizes, 1.75 and 3.00mm. Our 3DS may have shrunk some over time.

The 3DS PLA does snap when held in the bowden tube too long. It is from micro-fractures when you unwind the filament from the spool.
    Typically it will hold up while printing but overnight it snaps in one or several places.
    Brittle filament also has some problems with layer adhesion. I learned after printing a load of old PLA back parts, people were reporting failures.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    TD, when you mention the two generic sizes, 1.75 and 3.00mm, do you mean that 3.00mm is the size of the tubing o.d. cause that's a big jump from 1.75mm to 3.00mm on the filament? Whats the standard i.d. for the tubing regardless of the o.d.? Also, I'm trying to order PTFE tubing for the mod. I'm currently printing the jig for the nozzle carriage and wondering the exact tubing size I need to get so I can avoid any headaches. I got the push fitting/Bowden couplers, but I'm unsure about the tubing. I'm thinking I need the capricorn 1.75mmx4mm PTFE tubing. They have the i.d. listed at 1.9/2mm i.d./4mm o.d. I'm guessing that the increased i.d. size for the PTFE tubing is so that the filament has some room to move around without resistance as it travels through the tubing? Can anyone confirm the specs on the correct tubing size?
    Last edited by droid; 03-06-2020 at 11:51 PM.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh no... trade size. There are machines now that take a filament that is the diameter 3mm. Tube will wander in the range of 2mm ID. For our printers, you want 2mm minimum if at all possible. Get the large ID one! Here is a video where I review the Capricorn tubing that Bolsoncerrado sent me to groove. http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...ll=1#post44374

I explain the reason for my bias to larger ID tubes in the video.

The stock thin tubing is some 'gauge' size. It is bigger than 2mm on the ID and smaller than 3mm on the OD. What it is exactly no one know.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, just saw your review on Bowden tubing TD. Very informative. Settled on the Capricorn XS, 2 meters, 2mmx4mm, low friction PTFE/bowden tubing for 1.75 mm filament. That really helped me narrow down my choices and hopefully avoid any headaches. Thanks for the link/confirmation. I think I got all the supplies I need for the mod. Will get back to you on the results.

10. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post
    Likes TommyDee liked this post