Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Strange Benchy results

Can anyone explain what is happening here? I printed off a Benchy at 200 microns, and it is beautiful. I wanted to see the difference at 70 microns, so I printed at that setting too.

The front side is almost perfect:

20200310_201753 (2).jpg

But then I popped it off and looked at the back side... whoa:

20200310_201742 (3).jpg

This is repeatable... Is there some reason why the back facing side would come out so terribly?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    What material?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yes - I guess that would be helpful to know. It is PLA, Overture brand from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/OVERTURE-Fila.../dp/B07PFS2R12 if that makes a difference...

By the way - many thanks to you, this forum and Tomuro - I would have given up on this printer a long time ago without all the work you have posted...

4. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post
    Likes TommyDee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I agree the frontside is better than the other side but its still far from perfect... indeed its weird whats going on here... perhaps a bad spool with lots of humidity? try different brand maybe? just to discard hardware issues?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bolson - I did not even realize that I used the word "perfect" - I was just getting carried away making my point... Yes, even the good side isn't great, but to my mind it was acceptable given the amount of control I have over the Cube Print slicer.

I am repeating the print with a newer PLA filament, different color, different vendor. The machine is in a closet, and the bad side is towards the back wall, so I have also turned the Cube around to see if it is an environmental issue. I'm not expecting that to make a difference because I print with the closet door closed - but I figured it was worth a try.

I will post pictures in 3 hours after the print is completed.

7. Likes bolsoncerrado liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok keep us posted!

9. Likes nancymoore liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    ABS would be easier to diagnose but I will suggest heat loading. You might need a fan blowing in from the back. I've never tried Benchy on 70um. Another trick is to put another print far away from this one so each layer has a better chance of cooling. This trick works for a lot of heat related artifacts.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering if it might be that the fans on the hotend were blowing on the front of the Benchy but not the back... Trying to figure out what could be different.

For some reason, it is not letting me add a picture to this post of the latest result, but it had a similar problem in the same place.

I will try printing two Benchy's spaced out on the plate to see if that makes a difference.

- - - - - - - - - -

Here is the updated print. I did not refresh the glue, so it got knocked off the plate when it got to the smokestack. But otherwise, even though it is a little better with this filament, it looks like I start to have problems in the same spot.

20200311_121850 (2).jpg

20200311_121905 (2).jpg

So, "Reply to thread" allowed me to save the images. "Quick Reply" did not.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've always considered the Cube3 to have a 'presentation side' being front and right faces (left spool). But the part cooling is not very good on the backside or even the back right corner. That, and the hot black heat shield keeps filament from cooling fast enough. Cooling towers [also known as purge towers] help a lot, sometimes I wrap a cylinder around a part to ensure a more even cooling profile.

That blue filament did a lot better. What typically causes that is when a wall is warm and it doesn't quite 'build out' or manage the overhang well. After a while, the filament just prints in air and things start to repair themselves again. You could try turning the temp down 5 or 10 degrees.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 03-11-2020 at 05:50 PM.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I have not tried using buddybu's editor yet. I guess I need to learn that.

In the meantime, I am trying two Benchy's in opposite corners, so that should allow additional cooling time as you have suggested. Cube Print is saying 6-1/2 hours, so it will be a little while before I know on that.

Past that, I may look at a rear fan, and then try to figure out the Cube file editor.

Thank you both for all the help!