Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

CubeX goes to the toilet a lot

Hi all,

wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if this is normal behaviour for a CUbeX. There is a filament tray where the head goes over and dispences a dollop of melted filament. My CubeX is doing this quite often, almost once per layer. Is this normal behaviour, or is there a possible reason why it does it more regularly than expected?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Considering these are closed systems, since we have little control over the print parameters, this is 'proper' behavior. However, we can hunt down thes elines in the print file and eliminate them. You have to get a little knowledge of how the printer executes the print file. I think CubeX files are directly editable, no?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idead. I opened the .cubex file in notepad but it's all Chinese, not even joking.

I'm perhaps inclined to think that the hot end might be dirty and just needs some IPA on it to clean it out?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    You might have a few things to learn. Enjoy the adventure

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, yeah complete novice. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    The least of the things you want to know about is the chip re-setter once you get to printing proper. https://www.ebay.com/itm/39371070497...8AAOSwNslhmJe4

There is also as file decoder/encoder that may or may not work with the CubeX files. Look for the Cube3Editor. http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...e3-File-Editor
    Please give buddybu some feedback on CubeX as it was made for Cube3 and CubePro.

Then you want to learn about 'bits for bites', or BFB, which is what drivers all Cubify printers. They are single line commands with modifiers that tell the printer what to do at every turn. If Buddy's code will decode your files, then you can edit out the lines where the system wipes.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    The least of the things you want to know about is the chip re-setter once you get to printing proper. https://www.ebay.com/itm/39371070497...8AAOSwNslhmJe4

There is also as file decoder/encoder that may or may not work with the CubeX files. Look for the Cube3Editor. http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...e3-File-Editor
    Please give buddybu some feedback on CubeX as it was made for Cube3 and CubePro.

Then you want to learn about 'bits for bites', or BFB, which is what drivers all Cubify printers. They are single line commands with modifiers that tell the printer what to do at every turn. If Buddy's code will decode your files, then you can edit out the lines where the system wipes.
    Ace man, I'll have a look at the encoder. I did read that V1.07 can read bfb files when accompanied with another one. Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to have a look into it.

Luckily my CubeX is already chipless. I'm feeding it with the standard reel.

8. Likes TommyDee liked this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, CubeX accepts BFB without issue and printing without chips present is possible. The only issue you're going to have is getting a third party slicer prepped and configured to produce the same quality (or better) of the OEM slicer. A couple of free ones dropped BFB a couple of years back but you can find older versions of the software. I used KISS and it was very good but ultimately purchased Simplify3D, which is 150$ well spent IMO. It might be a bit of stretch if the CubeX will be your only printer but if you plan to expand the number of 3d printers you own then it's a no brainer.

10. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post