Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

CUBENSTEIN open conversion

Hi all,

On august 2018 I bought the best Cubepro you could find, one with burnt electronics. It was a real bargain.
    I have had no time to build it in almost two years, but now, being at home all day, has been the perfect moment.
    The idea was to go on with a sapre mega, ramps and DRVs I had, but at the end I decided to go for the MKS GEN L and 2130s,
    Since I consider that still today is one of the best mechanically built printers out there I decided to keep everythig as original as possible. Motors, endstops, fans, lights, extruders and hotends, and 24v PSU are kept.
    I added a 300x300 hotbed with a 220V 500W silicone mat with an SSR, and a 12V PSU for the board, fans and leds.
    24V PSU is used fot the extreuder with a stepdown to 19V.

Everithig is a little messy at the moment, but I will start printing electronics supports and tiding everithing up soon. I made replacement TFT holder for a MKS TFT 24 that fits great and gives the same look as the original one, except for the SD slot.

By the way, altough it at was a single extruder cubepro, the seller sent it with two extruders and hotends, so, adding the second one will be the next step.

Here are some pictures.

I'll keep posting as there are more advances.

- - - - - - - - - -

The adapters for tidying up the layout are ready. One for the board, one for the PSU and a third one for the SSR, mosfet and stepdown. They all use original screw holes on the printer, so there is no need to drill. They are intended to be temporary, because later on I want to include cable routing structures to them, but you never know.

STL and SLDPRT are available if someone wants to use it or modify it.

MKS GEN L adapter
    PSU adapter
    SSR, mosfet and stepdown adapter

Some pictures

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cucurutxo; 04-21-2020 at 07:30 AM.

2. Thanks TommyDee, bolsoncerrado thanked for this post
    Likes TommyDee, bolsoncerrado liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So did you adapt the stock bed or...?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I kept the original levelling structure and sat on top a 300x300 hotbed I had arround. Before installing it, I considered 12V would be way to slow for that size, so I ended up sticking a 220V 500W silicone mat under the bed. On top of the bed a 300x300 ultrabase.

I attached it to the structure with 3 M5 screws spaced by 2 M5 nuts each, in a position similar to the levelling screws. I had to drill 3 holes for on the structure plate to install it.
    I positioned the bed taking into account the left side clearance for the spool on th X axis, and that I could use the two long holes on the front of the strucure to mount a cosmetic part that also limits and keeps the the glass aligned. I would have kept the translucent original part, but it was not on the printer when I bought it.

I amb pretty happy with the mat. It only takes a minute to reach 70.

Last edited by cucurutxo; 04-22-2020 at 11:20 AM.

5. Likes TommyDee, bolsoncerrado liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quite impressive indeed!

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some pictures of the almost finished layout. I still need to print a cable chain for the hetbed power and thermistor. I have the enclosure at work, so this will have to wait.

Anyway, and altough it looks pretty good to me, I'm very disapointed on que quality. It has to print very slow to avoid getting significant ghosting. I suppose it is the price of the super heavy X axis with the super heavy Y dual motor axis. Even with the printer being so sturdy, inertia of x and y is so big, that it makes printing platform vibrate, so you get worst prints in the front and better in the back of the HB.

I'll have to consider ways of making X and Y lighter, trying not to end on a bowden.

8. Thanks TommyDee, SixNix, ercnbal thanked for this post
    Likes TommyDee liked this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    hy m8, can you plz share you marlins configuration ?
    Because im trying do the same, and buyed a board like yours, but im new to board config.

tks in advance

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here you are.

It is configured for the 2130 on SPI mode on all motors except Z axis that is running a DRV8825.
    Y axis is inverted so you need to connect Y endstom to Ymax. This way you won't need to Y mirror your prints in cura.

- - - - - - - - - -

After struggling to achieve a consistent first layer once and again on the ultrabase, I realized that cube pro hotends are pretty bad fot this surface. Since you need to push the fist layer into the base so it sticks fine, and cube hotends have much surface and less angle on the tip than regular hotends, they are prone to drag already placed material with them and ruin the first layer. After all it, it already was one of the pains in the a** with the original cube base and cube glue.
    So... I took the easy way, turend the ultrabase, and started printing on glass with hair laquer, and piece of cake.

Maybe I will give the ultrabase a second chance if I install a E3D hotend I have laying arrouond.
    Last edited by cucurutxo; 05-03-2020 at 10:50 AM. Reason: .

11. Thanks SixNix thanked for this post
    Likes SixNix liked this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tks a lot m8.

I have rebuild all my Hotends to ED3V6

20200228_120827.jpg20200207_183059.jpg

13. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, it is a great job.
    I have a cubepro but recently the motherboard has stopped working I want to do the same

can you share the BOM and the wiring instruction of the MKS Gen. I would not go for the heated bed tough

For what I see:

MKS Gen L
    2130 controller
    Wires

For the e3d V6 how did you do the adaptation?

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    The e3D V6 adaptation whit this.
    http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...dCUbECx34qY5GM

Just look for some one who have one or can work whit one. its super easy.
    A friend make me two in one hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh92971 View Post
    Hello, it is a great job.
    I have a cubepro but recently the motherboard has stopped working I want to do the same

can you share the BOM and the wiring instruction of the MKS Gen. I would not go for the heated bed tough

For what I see:

MKS Gen L
    2130 controller
    Wires

For the e3d V6 how did you do the adaptation?
    lathe