Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it worth it?

I found a cube3 on craigslist for $75 dollars. He still has the box and 2 filament cartridges (half used ish) but no glue and other acessories. Is this guy worth it? I currently have a mp select mini that is being very problematic. thanks!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tough call. All depends on what been done to it. Complete NOS on eBay was going for $149 delivered CONUS.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am batting .500 with craigslist luck. 1 works perfectly, 1% used on either cartridges and the other, hot end carriage busted. My advice, pass, use that 75.00 for a new on eBay like TD suggested.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Tough call. All depends on what been done to it. Complete NOS on eBay was going for $149 delivered CONUS.
    Nothing has been done to it, the guy said he bought it to make and sell stuff but never did. It hasn’t been used for a while thought, but there are the original 2 cartridges with it. Ebay also doe snot have one cheaper than $150 i found
    Last edited by SlimShady772; 04-22-2020 at 04:21 PM.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it is indeed near-new, it is worth $75 specially since you are saving on shipping too. The build plate condition will often tell if it is near new or not.

I think one of my clients cleaned out the $149 offers. Same place selling 4x Cube3 carts for $80 shipped CONUS.
    Best now is $179.

The risk with all unverified printers is that they may exhibit temperature errors on a significant number of attempts to print. This is one no one has really figured out. There have been some honorable attempts that appeared to have worked. I did have one and it was replaced under warranty. I attributed the continuing errors to an environment that was too cold. Moving it into a 70'F space seemed to help. This one went back for other reasons but it was the only printer that exhibited this tendency. Besides original cartridges, this is a weak link in NOS offerings without assurances.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I’m relatively new to 3D printing, so hear me out lol. Is that issue Temperature a common on the Cube 3? What is NOS? And can I tell if it has any issues by starting a print on it just to see if it works before I buy it? Sorry for all the questions!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is a rare event and normally an out-of-the-box issue or early onset. It would be reasonable to ask the seller to set up a test print. Very easy. If he gave up due to clogged cartridges, then maybe ask for assurances about this issue.

NOS = New Old Stock.

Ask away. I do my best to answer but I am a bit OCD on relies only to be complete. Its not my money or time, obviously, but I want you to have a good experience.
    If you go forward, we do have a great bounty of support information and goodies only dreamed of a couple of years ago.

Welcome to the forum.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I’m glad that I will have a line of support with the machine! What’s the best to have for PLA adhesion. Would BuildTak be good? Or just tape and glue?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the long-run, I recommend LokBuild only because I have experience with it. Glue for PLA becomes optional but I use it because LokBuild holds onto the glue provided with the Cube3. I also don't wash it off, rather I thin it out with water. To get you going, blue tape has always been popular. Blue tape with glue stick has been hailed the secret elixir. Pick your poison. The bottom of the list is the 3D Systems method But you do what the remaining glue. Even if it is thick and doesn't apply right at the moment. Water will solve that.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    How well has lokbuild lasted? Were you able to get ABS to print without warping. You were right about blue painters tape. When I try to print something 5 inches in diameter, the entire print warps and lifts the blue tape off the bed. No issues with most smaller items.

I purchased an assortment of build surfaces to test, is there a thread to post the results?

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    In the long-run, I recommend LokBuild only because I have experience with it. Glue for PLA becomes optional but I use it because LokBuild holds onto the glue provided with the Cube3. I also don't wash it off, rather I thin it out with water. To get you going, blue tape has always been popular. Blue tape with glue stick has been hailed the secret elixir. Pick your poison. The bottom of the list is the 3D Systems method But you do what the remaining glue. Even if it is thick and doesn't apply right at the moment. Water will solve that.