Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Board Swapping

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with that, got the same kind of answer from him... but if he recognizes he's not a tech guy he could at least take our word when I sent enough proof and a video of the fault, plus google links of other printers not related to Rapide with RUMBAs inside with the same issue...

In the end I chose a RUMBA board (again) to be back on printing, even if I now have different issues with it.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ethan wasn't best pleased when he saw my burnt out connector either, I think a few poorly assembled RL 200's may also be coming to his attention along with the mysterious USB bug, just to add to his woes

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I guess that the question is if he can rely on his staff. He said that they looked through three boards that were sent to them and nothing was wrong. But how would he know if he does not understand the technology? And why is he the only one answering our emails? Yes I know that he is the only one speaking english, but how does it work? We ask a question and then he asks/translates to his tech guy and then the tech guy replies and Ethan translates again, but since he is a machine illiterate he doesn't know what he says to us, or does he? It is a strange scenario, which is even more complicated now since there is no tech guy, he is on vacation. So why does Ethan still answer emails on tech related issues?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's him and his tech plus the "guys that make parts" + "guys that mount printers"... how many? unknown, but i bet not many

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is a startup and we took a chance backing it, thats fine and understood. But to answer questions when he does not know and to refer to this forum as the source of the info is just plain stupid. Sorry but it is true and there really isn't any nicer word for it. I thought that he could not read or post to the forum.

quote from Ethans mail: "its an issue with Rumba not our board specifically and its to do with the connection to the computer. I only found this out 2 days ago from the forum and them agreeing the issue was not related to our board."

And who here agreed that it was not related to their board? of course it is related to their board, the board is a Rumba based board.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah thats it, uses same design and chipset. the only difference with the real rumba is the DRV chips are already aboard instead of "plug in".

He got it the wrong way. I did tell him on the forum there was a guy who reported his board as not functioning but later he found out he could make it work on another computer, and Ethan should have taken this as a "general" fix for his situation :?

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think he may have been referring to a Rumba forum and them stating that it's a 'Rumba problem' and not the RL part of the board. Of course if you stick a Rumba on to your own board then in reality it ends up being a problem with your board. A bit like buying a stock engine for your custom built kit car and it turns out the engine has a fault, you'd be a bit pissed because strictly speaking it wasn't your fault.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, i was the one who sent him google links to the RUMBA issues in general, which is PART of Rapide too... his board is faulty bc he took over the same chip and firmware on it... but of course all boards may have been upgraded by now, just not ours.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well from my point of view: If you opt to use an open hardware design it is basically always a risk taking. If it blows up in your face and you shipped 700+ printers with a possible defect, then I would be really worried. I would probably do all I could to fix the problem asap. I guess a firmware upgrade (click and install) would be the best, for the ones out there who still enjoy their USB connection. To those who are dead in the water, I would send a new board, especially if they offered to pay for one.

But hey, thats just me!

Post Thanks / Like
    You, and the rest of non burnout humanity hehe