Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Would you recommend the rapide lite?

Hi everyone,

Newbie here, trying to settle on a printer.

From everything that I've seen, I like this printer a lot. Mainly because seems to be very well built mechanically. I like the fact that is mostly metal and that there is no printed/plastic parts in the carriages, etc.

From what I can see in the threads it doesn't seem to be a whole lot of issues with the machines, in general.

So, the question is for people that already owns the machine:

- what do you like? dislike?
    - would you recommend it? why? if not what would you wish you have bought?
    - how strong is the support from the manufacturer?
    - how easy can it be upgraded? can you add an e3d v6 nozzle?
    - what is the max temp on the nozzle?
    - website is not clear on the ability to use 3rd party filaments, can you use them?

I appreciate your help with these questions!

Thanks

augusto

Post Thanks / Like
    Like: Its robustness and the fact is almost full metal (ALU )
    Dislike: May be the extruder head is too delicate and it can't handle flexible filaments.

Yes! So far I think it's the best opensource 3D printer yet.

Could be better, but if they keep doing great products, the rest will grow soon.

Quite easy I think, given everything is tight with bolts, nuts and alu parts.

enough for all the current filaments

- website is not clear on the ability to use 3rd party filaments, can you use them?
    not for flexible (yet) although you can fix this with an "adapter". yes for the rest.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bolsoncerrado View Post
    Like: Its robustness and the fact is almost full metal (ALU )
    Dislike: May be the extruder head is too delicate and it can't handle flexible filaments.

Yes! So far I think it's the best opensource 3D printer yet.

Could be better, but if they keep doing great products, the rest will grow soon.

Quite easy I think, given everything is tight with bolts, nuts and alu parts.

enough for all the current filaments

not for flexible (yet) although you can fix this with an "adapter". yes for the rest.
    Bolson,
    Its possible to print with flexible filament. I have printed with flexible filament on rapid lite without any special adapters.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just remember to guys that our hotends are not all metal and do actually have a ptfe liner inside the steel barrel so really they shouldnt be extruding anything higher then the 250c-260c range as you start to get to close to the melting/deforming temps of the ptfe liner when you are up that high.

And the main important thing with printing flexible filament is to do it slow you dont want to try and push to much filament to fast into the hotend or it will just bend and flex and go crazy lol
    Last edited by grobbins; 02-20-2015 at 01:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Synthius,

if you have some tips, please do post them, i'd love to try it but I was even unsuccessful loading it on the extruder

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bolsoncerrado for your detailed reply, certainly encouraging.

I was wondering how is the service side of things treated: I'm in the US and wondering if something happens, how would you service the machine. I sent an email to Ethan and he was mentioning the shipping costs are very high. Additionally you get the time lag issue, where you might have to wait several weeks for the returned parts to go back an forth. This is something that worries me a bit. Is everything handled from Australia or do they have something local in the US?

Also, do you have any experience printing on ABS with this printer which is open. Asking this as with my friend tried to print a box on ABS and had all sorts of issues. With abs was lots of delimitation and deformation. He is using a solidoodle, which has the enclosure. Some times i feel these machines give you great amount of space to build but the fabrication method itself is so challenging that it is impossible use the machine for big prints anyway.

Thanks for your feedback.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the temp max of the nozzle it is 250°

I succeeded to print XT copolyester filament from colorfabb.

Post Thanks / Like
    A few here have printed in ABS i think...

As for the service, its a startup, I dont think they have a US service yet... Ethan is handling all email support and he's limited on technical issues so this relies on his tech guy.... Too early for this Im afraid. This is not a big corp, just an "indie" company crowfunding their products.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    For almost any large heavy machinery, shipping back to factory is a very costly option unless it is avoidable.

Most "hobby" enthusiast learns how to set up, tune and fix the printer with OJT (On the Job Training) moi included

The main chassis is pretty solid and not likely to be damaged unless it fell to the ground and gets bent out of wack.

Usually the moving parts are the first to be serviced: Hot Ends, Extruder, Heatbed, kapton sheets, belt drives, logic boards, almost all can be shipped easily.

Also you can usually source for similar parts locally since they all used the same Reprap basic design so it is mostly mechanically interchangeable (like the heatbed 214X214). When I said "locally" it usually means shipped from China anyway, what else isn't made there anymore....

Although I have ABS, I stay away from it preferring PLA instead. It's easily to use, no noxious fumes, low temperature, no shrinkage and warping issues like ABS. PLA is also "green" as it is made from Corn and is biodegradable. PLA also tends to have sharper corners but some cheaper PLA tends to be very brittle as well. The only advantage that I use ABS is that it is stronger than PLA, handles higher temperature (such as hot water) and won't biodegrade in the showcase after several years.

However there is a new grade of PLA which I am testing which seems to be stronger than ABS (Polymax) and that could be my choice for future project prints, I may never need ABS unless for permanence or high temp applications.

If you are very new to 3D printing, start off with PLA and start to get results rather than fussing around with the issues with ABS. ABS shrinkage is an issue if you want to build accurate fitting parts and rafts/supports are so hard to remove!
    Last edited by lawong; 02-24-2015 at 07:25 AM.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comments Iawong. That is what my plan was regarding service, and probably order things in advance just in case.

Regarding the PLA/ABS, I agree qith you. PLA is much easier to work with, just sometimes you need the temperature resistance of ABS. Have you tried nylon with this machine? If so, qhat are your thoughts?