Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Cube 3 update and best Hub

Hello, I'm fairly new the 3 d printing. I think just figured out how to update the cube from 1.11 to 1.14b I loaded all firmware updates on usb and now it loading as I speak. I'm not looking into doing carts as long term because I dislike opening them lol. I looking at hubs and so I can without re rolling use to aftermarket PLA. Yes,update worked.

Thank you Michelle

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the update. As to hubs - use the cart. Simple - the acrylic hub of the cartridge is stronger and more reliable that any printed hub over time. Biggest issue is chips not reading in the middle of a print, aborting the print. You don't have to fill the spool inside. Simple means to make spool holders on the cartridge or on sleds just means making a hole in the cartridge cover.

Dumb little wings break off? Solved that too Seriously, the original carts are a great backbone for all the relevant mods.

- - - - - - - - - -

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TommyDee; 05-09-2020 at 03:34 AM.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you and the little clips are genius the go with bowden nut adapter. I didn't think plastic would work but I was getting metal rings too tight. I printing right now and I got my extra line in yay. I'm so going to dry out all my old filament that came in carts. It all breaks too easy. I brought 4 extra carts. I'm so glad I did because I didn't see any cube printers or carts at reasonable price. I see why you stay with carts. I just going print the spool reroller although I did learn finally how to postion to hand roll. I used my belly and the desk lol. I learning blender for games on roblox. I think being able to print objects from blender will be cool as well. Everyone has done a great job and helping cube be user friendly. I'm so happy to be printing. After I get parts done and kids a few things; I'm printing zelda chess set for myself. I probably won't cut hole in the cart. I just can't do it because I afraid I cut too less or too much. It be different if I had jig saw. Does the cart thread the filament itself? I been running all the way to nozzle?
    Michelle

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    The cover is fairly forgiving. Also makes it easier to get into the cart if needed.

Sounds like you have a plan. Old 3DS filament may come apart on you sooner that expected. Layer adhesion becomes suspect. Do unload old filament overnight as that is when things crack in the bowden tube or the feed tube.

Image 1; hole saw. Image 2; scroll saw [coping saw]. Don't use high speed tools. Medium files and sandpaper clean up edges nicely.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TommyDee; 05-09-2020 at 07:06 AM.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool I can use the cutter attachment with my harborfreight brand 10.00 tool. I just need get sandpaper on husband payday lol. I'm stuck at home at moment. It isn't high speed and it doesn't scare me like the other one I have which closer to dremmel but it works great for polishing small stuff. The high speed one is my go to for cutting medium stuff and metals. I love harborfreight.

Thank you Michelle

- - - - - - - - - -

I revived my filament pla in oven last night from the cube. It working great. I'm so happy. I'm printing my first thing that doesn't involve printer lol
    Last edited by froggyfrog; 05-09-2020 at 10:30 AM.

6. Likes TommyDee, buddybu liked this post
    Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    how did you dry your filament in the oven? I am curious.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I took all 5 rolls and stuck them on baking sheet. I have gas oven so goes to 200 so I had to use thermometer to get temp right. I got to 120 and left them in for about 4 hours. I only wanted to do 2 but i fell asleep. They were fine and I been printing like crazy. I sealed up the 3 I'm not using in freezer bags with silica packets. I used the rolls from the cart. It brought back filament where isn't so brittle. I did try drying a filament unrolled and just on baking sheet. Do not do that lol. It ended up warped. I be using that filament for a 3d pen.

9. Thanks buddybu thanked for this post
    Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you! Mistakes are good for learning.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    update baking temp fix next day I had breakage. I'm just going to print alot and use it up. I'm warming filament again just one roll. I did have high humidity today. it rained all day.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just take it out of the feed system. It is perfectly happy on the spool. It is when you straighten it out that is begins to micro-fracture from the strain of uncurling.

You will also find that 3DS filament formulations have a sticky gooey 'lubricant' in the formula. It is the stuff that you old nozzles use to leach out of the edges of the Teflon tube at the print head. Most filaments don't do that. However, this additive breaks down over time and allows the filament to become brittle. It makes for more brittle prints too. Instead of a device with moderate tension lasting 2 years, it might last 1 year before some fracture or layer separation. This is the very reason I gave up on printed hubs. The small bits are easy enough to keep on hand. And with fresh filament, they are nearing a 1 year service life. ABS from 3DS is having similar symptoms as their PLA. It lasts longer but at 5 years it is basically just decorative. Sticks to glue like nobodies business though!
    Last edited by TommyDee; 05-12-2020 at 09:41 AM.