Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Optical filament runout sensor

I'm trying to put every original device to work on a converted cube.

Does anyone have a clue on how to connect and code the original filament runout sensor to work with marlin?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't even know where it is. If you can get a device number you can probably find the drivers.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Probably you need to follow the lines on the PCB and search the datasheet of the component on the board. This can be helpful to understand how the sensor sent information. Next step will be configuration of the Marlin which i think will be easier after understanding the sensor board. Hopefully there is no hardcoded components on the sensor PCB.

P.S I guess there exist two encoders on the board. They could be really helpful to extrude exact amount of filament.

4. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    well, take into account it is a 3d systems component, so drivers is the last thing I expect to find.

It is located behind the extruder wheels. t looks like CON1 checks one wheel and CON2 checks the other one. The connection is B-Out, so 5 pins. The Ex one is for the hotend, and is currently working fine.

Besided that I do not have the slightest idea how this works.

Last edited by cucurutxo; 05-26-2020 at 04:07 PM.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I mentioned devices I meant the individual components rather than the fully integrated circuit board.

I suspect that this is an encoder set that does a balance between one wheel moving vs. two wheels moving. A basic -AND- configuration for a logical "filament is moving".

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    well well well, after a session of backlight on the PCB I got a scheme. Red on one side. turquoise on the other.
    By the position the pcb is mounted on the extruder, CON1 and CON2 seem to check if there is filament, and U1 and U2 that are in front of the wheels seem to check if they are moving.
    I suppose it is how they make difference between filament runout and clogged filament.

R2 and R4 are marked 5100, R3 2400, and R5 5101.

Anyway, no idea how to work with that.

Just found on reprap forum this explanataion by the_digital_dentist:

The tall sensor at the top of the board fits in a hole in the extruder body and monitors for presence of filament. The other two sensors monitor the discs on the drive gear and pinch roller (if the drive gear turns but the pinch wheel doesn't, the filament isn't feeding).

I'm gonna try to figure out how to use the filament detector and forget about the motion ones.
    Last edited by cucurutxo; 05-28-2020 at 06:33 PM.

8. Thanks SixNix thanked for this post
    Likes SixNix liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there something plugged in to CON1 and CON2? That would be a sensor like that in a mouse wheel. U1 and U2 are optical sensors also. They are counting the black and white pulses. As you say, to detect motion and do some math and signals later.

U1 and U2 should present the same signal as the filament sensor.

I'll run the circuit by an EE and see what he thinks. Any markings on U1 and U2?

The 5-pin... pin on the left is ground and the far right pin is positive (5v or 12v?). Could be backwards so a reading is required unless a device clarifies it. I'm looking at the dot on U1 which jives with my assessment. That would be IR-XMIT. The 4-pin device is the receiver of the reflected signal. Basic RPM sensor using high|lo output at a digital rate.

So these other firmware packages have the ability to manage complex filament movement routines for alarms? I think most would have a filament runout sensor input. The routine 3DS put in the system is for guided filament replacement and fault detection. CubePro is really good about that because they have these sensors. I suspect if you wanted to use these encoders, you would have to write the code to govern them. There I would agree that they become useless outside of a CubePro framework.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 05-28-2020 at 07:36 PM.

10. Thanks cucurutxo thanked for this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    YES!!! when I brought the printer home I found a part on the floor and kept it apart. Now I have seen this picture in reprap, I realised it belonged to the CON.

So, for what I have seen, CON, U1 and U2 work independently. I think I'm going to try to connect the filament sensor like any other runout sensor with M600 in marlin and check what happens. I'll go with 5v to start.
    I'll discard U1 and U2 for the moment.

Last edited by cucurutxo; 05-28-2020 at 07:52 PM.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's funny! I don't know if the CON sensor is polarized. But yes, it should work. If the sensor has a part number, you might be able to find a spec sheet.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, tested and works... but
    I connected it to an UNO at 5V and with filament inside sends signal between 4,80v and 4,20v depending on the filament, being 4,20 a translucent grey.
    I also tested at 3.3v and with filament sends signal between 3,19v and 2,20v.

The problem is that when you remove the filament signal does not go down to zero. It goes to 1v @3.3 and to 0,78 @ 5v.

So, instead of modifying the marlin I tested it with connection to the MKS TFT that works at 3.3v for the filament sensor and it detects filament runout, but does not detect when you insert new filament. It seems it detects when it is not triggerered, but not when you tirigger it back.

I guess it could be coded in marlin to set the voltage at which M600 should be triggered, but I think I'll go with a mechanical endstop.

By the way, U1 and U2 also work and send 5v with light at 0.02v with dark at 5v. so, pretty much accurate.

And, yes, CON is polarized. Left pin on the diagram is + and right is GND.