Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like

Cube Pro for free or really cheap...

Hey, I am looking for a CubePro printer that may only be partially functioning. It does not need to actually print files, it just needs to be able to be powered up and receive files. My budget is very limited and I am working tools to help others using these printers (along with Cube3/Ekocycle printers) to edit files. My latest foray has been to send files wirelessly to the Cube3/Ekocycle. As of yesterday, I had a working prototype. I would like to be able to do the same for the CubePro family of printers, but I do not have access to one. This is the reason for my request.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its the same motherboard

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats good to know, but is the network protocol that the cube3 and cubepro use the same? Does that mean I could put the cubepro firmware on my cube3?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am sure that the protocol manager will scream bloody murder for the unconnected sensors but technically it should take the F/W.
    What I suspect will happened is that the diagnostics on boot-up would fail due to erroneous data.
    I haven't tried booting up an Cube3 motherboard that is disconnected to the rest of the system.

Okay... now to try to send a file to CubePro... brb

...Windows is stealing files. Test2 and some support files disappeared from the folder.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 05-26-2020 at 09:37 PM.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I am sure that the PM will also scream about the missing sensors, or it won't, but I don't want to take a chance on bricking a Cube to try.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Attachment 3828

Okay, this is starting to scare me. I got all kinds of alarms from windows this time. Now it refuses to run Test2.

On one run it said the printer was invalid. Windows defender halted action until the dialogs were satisfied but the program just processed it as an invalid address. After allowing whatever the Windows Firewall detected, it just locked it up. That means something in this is ticking Microsoft's buttons.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh, interesting. There is nothing nefarious in this program, I promise. I wonder what windows was freaking out about... Hmmm... I wish I had one of these bad boys. (CubeX/CubePro)...

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alright. Good thing Windoowze is stupid.

Results;

C:\Users\####\Desktop>cd CubeWifi_05262020

C:\Users\####\Desktop\CubeWifi_05262020>test2.exe 192.168.0.122 TEST.cubepro
    Requested printer (192.168.0.122) is not valid.

C:\Users\####\Desktop\CubeWifi_05262020>test2.exe 192.168.0.124 TEST.cube3
    Sending (TEST.cube3) to printer (192.168.0.124)
    C:\Users\####\Desktop\CubeWifi_05262020>

The Cube3 file is printing now.

I agree that CubePro support really is not nearly as significant as Cube3. CubePro needs a brain transplant or Simplify3D. Cubify for CubePro is just too limiting. You might consider removing extruder 3 support to gear it more towards Cube3. I say this only because the entire header has to be replaced anyway so this is a library management function a user can take on for the CubePro. The whole nozzle management has to be dealt with as well.

Having said that, that doesn't mean there isn't a place for a CubePro version but the differences and the age of the available editable slicer just makes it moot. S3D is $149 and it is there and available. Porting Cube3 to CubePro is fun and worthwhile but it has all the limitations of the Cube3 slicer, up front of course is size.

I also found your findings in the newer CubePro files disturbing. Moving from a machine language to a native language is bold. This shows determination in this proprietary software protection scheme. They can have it for their professional division. We're tinkerers the same as DDD was at one time.

Thank you as always Buddy for the excellent work. Lugging around a CubePro just for coding experiments is a favor bigger than anyone could ask of you. Trust me... first thing I thought of -after- receiving mine - 'how do I get rid of it when I'm done with it?' Trust me, you'd be on the top of my list to come haul it off. Then what? freight on this was $199! It would become parts and a majority would find a waste bin. It is simply that obtrusive.

Of course you could enjoy a nice big printer too. In that case, yes, keep an eye out. Bolsoncerrado and I caught the dumping of a literal ton of CubePro Duos. $399+$199 s/h. It was one of those - now or never - purchases. It was worthwhile. I learned what we were talking about here with regard to Cubepro. I always had S3D in the back of my mind for a slicer and find the implementation reasonable enough to explore it when I get back to needing engineered prints. I've been following loosely since I had the Cube3 but CubePro is demanding it to expand beyond a very limited feature set on a very 'unique' slicer. CubePro's slicer is useful to me but in a very limited way. It does handle ABS nicely if you prepare.

Last reason to blow off CubePro as a native clean system? There is no equivalent 3rd party ABS. PLA that snaps is a pain in CubePro with its 4' of pre-feed. There is precious little viable filament left in old stock. 3 years is about tops. And without the ability to modify v2.02 files, any effort towards this end is frivolous. They removed BFB coding. I haven't tried the nylon yet but that holds promise. I have zero interest in investing in a 0.05mm nozzle for Wood and Flex. And I can't back-annotate them to Cube3 so that remains useless.

Conclusion, CubePro is good as a production Nylon printer -if- one can find a functionally compatible Nylon for future-proofing. I also welcome truly compatible ABS. The time I have spent on that front signifies that 3DS ABS is a special formula that requires about 10'C more than the normally available stock. Messing with poor choices on filament will ruin your afternoon! I spent an hour just changing filament yesterday in my CubePro!

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks TD for your encouragment. I would love to drop the CubePro support, but I know that there are still some users out there. One thing I discovered is that the software takes apart the passed in file and puts all of the chunks in a temporary folder, I am guessing, C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\CubePro while building a file for printing. When it sends it uses the file in that folder. Would it be possible for you to make a file of the maximum size to see what might be going on in that folder?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...and I didn't forget that you're a half-day's drive away Buddy
    Last edited by TommyDee; 05-26-2020 at 11:02 PM.