Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Cube 3 Not printing item as originally designed. Why, and how do you correct this?

All of a sudden my Cube 3 stopped printing projects as I originally designed them! The object that was printed resembled what I designed but was basically out of whack. I am using the original Cubify Invent and Cubify Print programs that came with the printer, and the designed items print perfectly fine on a second Cube 3 printer I own: so I know the problem is with the machine, not the software. As near as I can tell, the Cube 3 is not reading the design instructions properly. How do I correct this problem? Is there some way to re-boot a Cube 3 printer so it will read my design files correctly again, or is it a lost cause? Thanks for the help! Rob

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    have you tried power cycling the cube, i.e., turning it off and on? i have not seen this, but then again, i don't have access to cubify invent as it needs a license key.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rob, these printers are not known to go postal, which is what it sounds like yours did. I cannot discern the extent of the problem you are seeing in the print from your explanation. What I can recommend is re-installing the firmware. One of two things happened - a bit flipped in the current firmware and needs resetting with a new installation, or a sensor of sorts failed. Can you better describe the change that has taken place?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you buddybu. That sounds like a great idea. The simpler the better, right? Thanks again, Rob

Quote Originally Posted by buddybu View Post
    have you tried power cycling the cube, i.e., turning it off and on? i have not seen this, but then again, i don't have access to cubify invent as it needs a license key.
    - - - - - - - - - -

Hi Tom,
    An example? let's say I am printing a cube. It starts out fine, but 10 minutes later I check on it and the machine has gradually shifted to the right (printing as it does so), and then it continues building upwards! I end up with a very lopsided cube. It used to print perfectly, but it now acts as if the motors and drive belts are slightly out of sync. I was hoping there was a "reset" button to push somewhere! Lastly, how does one re-install the firmware? Thanks for the input! Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Rob, these printers are not known to go postal, which is what it sounds like yours did. I cannot discern the extent of the problem you are seeing in the print from your explanation. What I can recommend is re-installing the firmware. One of two things happened - a bit flipped in the current firmware and needs resetting with a new installation, or a sensor of sorts failed. Can you better describe the change that has taken place?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is where my e-knowledge drops off sharply Rob. Yes, we've seen this but it is extremely rare.

This is the consideration in my reply; Something is loosing stepper counts. Stepper motors work by counting rotations to know where they are.

I want to say this is mechanical. After 10 minutes, something is keeping the stepper motor from moving freely. It is struggling in whatever direction the error is propagating. Also check the belt gears to make sure they don't have missing teeth or pinion gears filled with contaminants. Also rare but worth checking.

The other possibility is that it is just loosing count for whatever reason. A weak motor or a weak stepper driver on the motherboard. This gets involved.

Firmware is the best hope. Put the v1.14B firmware on a USB drive in the root folder. Insert the drive in the left USB port. Use the system menu to install new firmware. Install the firmware from USB.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, your interpretation of the issue makes complete sense to me, though correcting the problem if it is anything other than re-installing the firmware and/or turning the machine on and off, will be a problem I may not be able to correct. I have only printed a dozen or so items on it too! Alas, this may be another reason they stopped supporting the Cube 3. I will fiddle with it and keep you posted. I trust you are still healthy and doing well. Be safe..this virus thing still isn't over. Best regards, Rob

This is where my e-knowledge drops off sharply Rob. Yes, we've seen this but it is extremely rare.

This is the consideration in my reply; Something is loosing stepper counts. Stepper motors work by counting rotations to know where they are.

I want to say this is mechanical. After 10 minutes, something is keeping the stepper motor from moving freely. It is struggling in whatever direction the error is propagating. Also check the belt gears to make sure they don't have missing teeth or pinion gears filled with contaminants. Also rare but worth checking.

The other possibility is that it is just loosing count for whatever reason. A weak motor or a weak stepper driver on the motherboard. This gets involved.

Firmware is the best hope. Put the v1.14B firmware on a USB drive in the root folder. Insert the drive in the left USB port. Use the system menu to install new firmware. Install the firmware from USB.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rob, I would think it much more likely to be a physical vs. electronic issue. IE, you've probably got a blob of filament picked up by a belt. I've never seen this issue on a Cube3 but when it would occur on a CubeX or BFB, it was an indication that belt tension was loose.

I would ensure the X belt with the print heads is nice and clean then pull the plate/base off and remove the plastic cover to inspect the Y belt. It might be really small and pressed into the belt at this point. Try using a toothpick in every rib of those two belts and let us know if it resolves your issue.

If you want to get nuclear on it, fire up the air compressor and give the printer a good air clean while it is upside down. Focus on the belts while you are moving them around.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Doug,
    That sounds like an excellent idea! It is very strange the way it is printing. Instead of in the center, like it should, it will start printing way to the left, or sometimes the rear, completely off center! And, this is a "new" machine. I have only made about three dozen prints on it since opening the box...and it was doing so well at first! Melted plastic contamination sounds quite possible. I will give it a shot. Thanks again! Rob

Quote Originally Posted by dougk12 View Post
    Rob, I would think it much more likely to be a physical vs. electronic issue. IE, you've probably got a blob of filament picked up by a belt. I've never seen this issue on a Cube3 but when it would occur on a CubeX or BFB, it was an indication that belt tension was loose.

I would ensure the X belt with the print heads is nice and clean then pull the plate/base off and remove the plastic cover to inspect the Y belt. It might be really small and pressed into the belt at this point. Try using a toothpick in every rib of those two belts and let us know if it resolves your issue.

If you want to get nuclear on it, fire up the air compressor and give the printer a good air clean while it is upside down. Focus on the belts while you are moving them around.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm holding out for a sensor read-back issue, Rob. This sounds like a DOA machine that is like one that Bolsonserrado also had. I don't know if it ever got resolved. that would mean there is a poor connection somewhere in the wiring, likely at a connector. My first goto diagnostic attempts in such a case is to reseat -all- connectors.
    Somehow this machine is not counting steps correctly. I actually found a bug in CubePro that does something similar but it was in the file, this is in the hardware.

F/W was a simple test to see if it was machine interpretation. My second attempt would be to consider this a hardware issue. Something very simple like an intermittent or failed contact on a connector.

Again, yes we've seen this and no, we have not seen a solution. Would love to find one.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tom,
    As always, thanks for the insight! When I have time to dig around in this finicky unit I will let you know what I find. What encourages me is the fact that it did work well initially, so if it is hardware based I may be able to pinpoint it. Til my next problem, take care and stay healthy, and safe! Rob

I'm holding out for a sensor read-back issue, Rob. This sounds like a DOA machine that is like one that Bolsonserrado also had. I don't know if it ever got resolved. that would mean there is a poor connection somewhere in the wiring, likely at a connector. My first goto diagnostic attempts in such a case is to reseat -all- connectors.
    Somehow this machine is not counting steps correctly. I actually found a bug in CubePro that does something similar but it was in the file, this is in the hardware.

F/W was a simple test to see if it was machine interpretation. My second attempt would be to consider this a hardware issue. Something very simple like an intermittent or failed contact on a connector.

Again, yes we've seen this and no, we have not seen a solution. Would love to find one.

11. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post