Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Part Sourcing - Extruder toothed wheel

Hey yall, it's been a while for me, I'm happy to see this forum alive and well!!

I am running the hacked firmware with the KISS cartridge method (just a regular cartridge with the lid cut in half). I have been noticing a mysterious black powder near the extruder motor shaft that sprinkled down to the the two electrodes, didn't think much of it. Well apparently that black powder is the inside of the extruder toothed wheel that gets ground off by the square extruder motor shaft.

The motor shaft had rounded off too and kept slipping when I tried it with a new extruder hub, so I had to disassemble and swap the motor!

Anyone else had this happen?

Anyone know the proper name for the toothed wheel thingy, and where I can buy it?

Thanks!

p.s. I had pics of the stepper but I accidentally deleted it, the corners were visibly round. Even on my other cubes I checked their shafts and they are starting to round too.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    They do wear but I haven't worn one out yet. It does grind the shaft too. One more reason the stock cart cases are a good choice.

I might recommend buying a cartridge if the price is right. A full set of rebuild parts. Call it a maintenance kit.

I'm avoiding all non-essential interaction or I'd be happy to send you a couple. Someone will chime in.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do have some spare cartridges, enough to last me a while. I was just wondering if anyone knew the proper name for that part, so I can do some searching and try to find it.

I think the excessive wear is from a DIY spool holder set up that I made. The cubes print fine with this spool holder, but I guess the toothed bearing thing can't take it....

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    you can try my design... it will put some relief on those teeth...
    it only costs a few extra bolts an few grams of filament...
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4262905

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    R81- could you do a close up on your design?

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes at friday or saturday

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi to everybody! this is my first post.
    Im Gaston and Im from Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    I bought a CUBE3 a month ago (less than 80dols here,brand new) and obviously i started with the original filament problems.
    After trying many mods that worked for very little time, I started to notice the same black thing in the axis. So i took some measures and bought a generic MK8 extruder and made minimal mods to it to install it.
    IMG_20200626_194456.jpg
    the center hole is 22mm and the cube 3 has a kind of notch of 24mm so I drilled to that size so the metal plate made full contact with the plastic part of the cube.
    the screws that came with the extruder fit perfectly on the cube3. I glued the original toothed wheel so it doesnt move or tackles. Ive been printing A LOT and no more troubles!! I recommend this mod.
    greetings to all!

8. Thanks ztoddman1, bolsoncerrado thanked for this post
    Likes ztoddman1, bolsoncerrado liked this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YORDIBSAS View Post
    Hi to everybody! this is my first post.
    Im Gaston and Im from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Welcome Yordibas! Would love to see movie details of your tasty MK8 model. Do tell!!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome
    ... and how are you managing the chip while printing?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only have PLA,cant find ABS here,so I cutted the zone with the chip from the cartridge and glued it to the cube..simple and functional jaja.

- - - - - - - - - -

give me a few days and i will make a step by step photoguide
    Im waiting for a M6 barrell to arrive to make the guides for the filament in the extruder (not necessary really, but i want to do it)

12. Likes TommyDee liked this post