Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tomlo and other readers,

Firstly I want to to thank TommyDee for all his work on this forum. Glad to see that is very alive

During Dec 2019 I worked on trying to repair the English School of Gothenburg's (we live in Sweden) Cube Pro Trio. I tried to rebuild the hotends by exchanging the originals for modified ED3 V6's. I also tried o get the firmware to recognize the replacement 200k thermistors. but with no access to re-configure thermistor curves and PID values I had limited success and the T-14 temp error message kept on appearing. You can find the work I did here:

http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...ghlight=sa6buq

The school bought a Creality 3D Ender Pro and after a while I got the Cube Pro Trio back home as "scrap". So I am on the same SKR 1.4 Turbo upgrade path:

- Marlin 2.0.x
    - TMC2209 at the moment in stand-alone mode (So I cut that extra pin to enable the limit switches to work)
    - SKR 1.4 Turbo which can drive 5 stepper motors
    - 2.4" colur TFT display
    - Original 24V power supply

Below is a photo in the early stages of the upgrade:

Upgrade.jpg

Hot end:
    My modified E3D V6 hotend with 100k thermistor that came with the "Chinese made hotends" bought from ExelFu. I measured them to have B=3940K. In Marlin I selected : 5 : 100K thermistor - ATC Semitec 104GT-2/104NT-4-R025H42G (Used in ParCan, J-Head, and E3D) (4.7k pullup)
    which seems to track my thermocouple multimeter quite well for now. I have a small 12V fan running from a seperate power supply (at the moment) clamped onto the heatsink of the hotend (cold side)

Limit Switches:
    - I also move the Y-limit switch to the bottom left and the Y=0 furtherest in (away from the front) messed up my co-ordinate mapping in my head as I was tought at school that X=0, Y=0 is "bottom left". I guess thatt could have been solved in the configuration. I just wanted it to home in the bottom left with "hard limit switches" and not the software limits. The Cube Pro uses limit switches that are normally open and with pull-ups enabled it means that the state will change from HIGH to LOW when the limit it reached (triggered). So in Marlin I configure the limit switches:

#define X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true // Set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    #define Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true // Set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
    #define Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true // Set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.

Homing:
    When testing the HOME function from the TFT front panel, it worked fine when running the Marlin board on 16V, but above that the home function would home to a "random point". I realised after a lot of testing that it is interference from the motors onto the limit switch lines. I plan to add some decoupling capacitors but a quick fix was to set:

#define ENDSTOP_NOISE_THRESHOLD 2

Calibration:

Using 1/16 step size with the TMC2209's I arrived at the following values after quite a few 100mm x 100 mm calibration prints. The Z-axis was easy to calibrate using a vernier to measure 10mm increments. It will be interesting to compare to other peoples results as this was NOT done mathematically [IMG]file:///C:/Users/pelst/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png[/IMG]

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 87.57, 87.57, 1067.67, 160 }Motota

Motors:
    I am running the to Y-motors with the original harness which connects them in parallel. I have the following mapping on the BTT SKR 1.4:

X motor to XM
    Y motor(s) to YM
    XZ motor to ZM
    Extruder to E0M

For the X and 2xY motors as well as the extruders, the Cube Pro Trio uses 1 x M4 2STH47-16845C-3 motor from www.motioncontrolproducts.com
    and that looks like it is a NEMA 42 w 1.8 degrees/step and uses 1.68A (I stand to be corrected)
    The Z-axis uses a larger M57STH51-3008DC-5 rated at 3.15V 2.1A.

I used the original wiring but transferred the pin to four pin JST-XY connectors. The original Cube Pro motherboard uses six pin JST-XH connectors with stepper motor wires wired into every second pin. The sequence I have is:

X-motor: 2B=Green 2A=Black 1A=Yellow 1B=Red
    Y motor(s) 2B=White 2A=White 1A=White 1B=White (I know this is meaningless, but the harness splits into coloured wires that goes to the motors using Green, Black, Yellow, Red
    Z-motor: 2B=Black 2A=Green 1A=Blue 1B=Red

Using the above I set the following in Marlin (I guess the were all the same by a convention followed by 3D systems or some kind of standard):

#define INVERT_X_DIR true
    #define INVERT_Y_DIR true
    #define INVERT_Z_DIR true

#define INVERT_E0_DIR true

After the first print I lost steps on the Y-axis and increased the current to double as Y is driving two motors. I really plan to split that and that is the reason for replying to this thread (not to hijack it with other info) TommyDee, you can move this info somehere else if you deem fit. No worries.

At the moment I use:

X: Vref=1.36V x 0.766 = 1040mA
    Y: Vref=2.38V x 0.766 = 1820mA
    Z: Vref=1.25V x 0.766 = 960mA
    E: Vref:1.04V x 0.766 = 800mA

All motors are running very cool. Comments on these values or suggested improvements are welcome. I had to add a fan to cool the heatsink on the TMC2009's as the Y driver was running hot as expected.

I have stripped the printer out of its cubical enclosure and will built it back later. The main board will be mounted on the bacl of the printer where I can have access to it and not deep down under the base plate. So at the moment I am testing without the heated chamber.

I am quite happy that I have come this far by testing thing ste-by-step. I just finished printed the Benchy and clearly I still have a lot to do! Suggestions will be welcome. Wondering why I still miss steps or what the reason for the layer shifts are?

B1.jpgB2.jpgB3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sa6buq; 02-13-2021 at 10:13 PM.

2. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post
    Likes garufa liked this post