Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Heated Bed Failure

image.jpgBurntConnector.jpgLastLast night I got an awful smell from my printer followed later by an overnight print failure (reason unknown) this morning my heated bed will not warm up at all. The wires to the bed look ok so going to examine the internals shortly, if anybody has some guidance on what/where the bed connections are on the motherboard then please let me know. I'm guessing if something has burnt out it will not be user replaceable?
    EDIT: Now found the reason
    Last edited by BobenhamHotspur; 02-21-2015 at 01:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy geez!!

How did you reach to that level? Is it too hot where you live? Was your mainboard fan burned out before that happened?

You may have had an overheat problem by placing the printer inside the cardboard box...

At least it seems it's easy to fix?

Let us know.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm guessing it was a short that caused the burnout? as it's certainly not hot in the UK at the moment!
    I'm not sure what the mainboard fan has to do with this problem but it's all unplugged at the moment so I can't say if it's still working or not.
    I did get some thermal shut-down problems when I used my 'heat-bed blanket' and running in a fully enclosed 'cabinet' but by not using the 'blanket' and by lifting up the front door and leaving a gap at the bottom for airflow this stopped. Again though I believe this is a separate problem as it would not cause the wiring to burn through it's plastic covering and melt the connector.
    Unfortunately the centre connector is badly damaged and will probably need removing from the board. Hopefully it has not damaged the motherboard or the connector to the left. I've emailed Ethan and asked him what my options are. Unfortunately though I reckon it's going to have to go back to China so I may be out of action for a while and just when I was finalising my new Nvidia Shield Tablet device...... damn damn damn

Post Thanks / Like
    Do the following quick test: move the jumper to the USB powered option and plug the USB cable to the printer while the computer is on.

If the board power led and RX/TX leds wake up, you may still be on time of just replacing the connectors, which should be fair easy to do and no need to send the thing to China....

The other option of course is just swap the board with another, which would be as much expensive as shipping it back and forth from China and muuch much quicker solution...

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    No need to test as everything else seems to be working fine. It was still on this morning when I found the failed print, I tried to restart it and then noticed the bed was not warming. I had to heat the extruder in order to remove the filament so that I could then examine the internals so I know that still works.

Although I'm not against doing my own repairs (I've already replaced two extruder fans and filed a flat onto the extruder motor shaft!) I do feel that RL should take some responsibility for the poor quality issues. The problem is that (quite reasonably) they will probably want to see the part to check it before they agree to repair/replace it so we are stuck with waiting while this all happens. This is one of the problems unfortunately you get with buying Chinese products.
    NB. I would be willing to take a payment towards repairing/replacing the motherboard as this may speed things up a little but I doubt that will be on offer.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just to be double sure, I reconnected the power and I saw the power LED and two other LED's (RX/TX?) light up, plus all the fans were working.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear of your trouble Bob....hopefully you'll get it sorted

Post Thanks / Like
    Bobenham,

I did upload a video of my dead board (on the USB part) and Ethan still wants it shipped... so... dunno what to tell you here. I'd go ahead and save time (and probably money) getting a new connector set.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect that the screw terminal has come slightly loose and then an arc can form which becomes a runaway condition and cause it to catch fire.

10. Likes Stationred liked this post