Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

New cartridge with hacked firmware+respooling techniques

My cube3 has the filament software hack that allows me to use a spool infinitely. My second spool broke and would a paint to respool/use. With the filament hack, can I just buy a new cartridge on ebay and just pop it in? I think i heard somewhere that the cartridges had to be "initialized" for it to recognized by the software hack. Any ideas. Also, currently i have my filament (reprapper PLA) feeding in through the little access door on the side. I would like to learn how to best respool the filament into the cartridge to help with desk space. Any video link or things that would help. Thanks for the support.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you figure this out I will be happy to see your video of how its done SlimShady.

How's this for an option - buy a replacement cartridge and swap chips from you junk cartridge? [yes, the limitation is real]

You pop the latches and go to town. A lot of different solution all require different tricks. Just learn to open it and settle on an upgraded feed system.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    never thought of just swapping the chips. I figured out how to open the cartridge and respooled as much as i could on to the little spool inside. Thanks for the help!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anytime