Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unibody Extruder on the way!

Tired of getting "liquid filament" floods and drops onto my prints, I decided to go towards an "unibody" extruder, this is, one single entry and exit point for the filament, no moveable parts!

This should stop:

- Heater cables from breaking (after moving back and forth)
    - Liquid filament to flow outside the joints
    - Allow for flexible filament feeding "out of the box"
    - Easy replacements

The challenge will come on how to apply it to the Rapide, but I'm glad our printer is based on bolts, nuts and alu all the way!

Check it out anyway! Worth considering! (although this image sums it up:

HeatCore Unibody extrusion kit

Classic vs Unibody

95,90 €
    Purchase

You can also purchase the Hot-End HeatCore Unibody separately.
    39,90 €
    Purchase

Everything in a single unit

When we designed the HeatCore Unibody, our priority was to ensure that the printing system was stable and did not suffer any leaks. We found that the best way to do this was to reduce the number of parts and joints. For this reason, our HeatCore Unibody hot end is formed of a single piece of AISI 303 stainless steel. We chose this material because its high level of thermal conductivity allows the system to reach the desired printing temperature more quickly. Plus, in order to improve the passage of the filament, the HeatCore Unibody has been electro-polished: electro-polishing is a chemical and electrical process that polishes the internal walls and reduces the number of irregularities, thereby optimising the passage of the filament and reducing the possibility of it sticking.

• A single unit of AISI 303 stainless steel
    • Quality monitored and tested by our technical team
    • Free of plastic leakage
    • 40W x 12v ceramic heater cartridge.
    • Reaches printing temperature quickly
    • Built-in 100K thermistor
    • Electropolishing treatment for improved printer stability and reduced printer jams.
    • PTFE tube to reduce friction

Technical specifications

Download files
    HeatCore Unibody extrusion kit €95,90 Purchase Hot-End HeatCore Unibody 39,90 € Purchase
    Dimensions 150 x 125 x 123 mm
    Weight 737 g
    Extruder Mechanics Extruder designed in-house.0.4 mm nozzle for 1.75 mm filament.Finned heat sink with axial fan.Blower for cooling printed objects.
    Complete extruder Nema 17 motor.Complete extruder body with lever and spring system.MK7 drive gear for 1.75 mm filament.NTC 100K thermistor.40W ceramic heater cartridge.HeatCore Unibody hot end (designed and manufactured in Spain).
    Extruder cable kit Quad-core cable for the Nema 17 motor with JST connector.Dual-core cable for the extruder thermistor with two-pin female connector.Crimped cable for the fan and blower with sleeve terminal.Crimped heater cartridge cable with sleeve terminal.
    Extruder support The kit includes a black powder-coated steel extruder support for the usual Prusa i3 models (including the Prusa i3 Hephestos).
    Screws and nuts 2x M4 x 6 mm screws, DIN-912 class 8.8 (with 2.5 mm Allen head).2x black M3x10 screws, DIN-912 class 8.8.2x black M3 nuts, DIN-934 class 8.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best of luck, a lot more expensive than a spanner

Post Thanks / Like
    Having spent the last week and a half (plus a ruined extruder on first place when i bought the printer) trying to address cable, leaks and fan issues plus some clogs too, it seems a good investment :/

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anything that minimizes a Rapide headache is worth the investment IMO.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Updated first post with the correct video url...

Classic vs Unibody

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm curious, would it be possible to swap just the hotend? Fortunately, I've not had to take my extruder apart so I don't know the shape or size of the hotend assembly.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the theory, as it's a M3 screw too... I'll let you know today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just recieved it, its quite gorgeous and practical, smart build, solid... and i think we will be able to fit it onto the Rapide easily. We'll see.

Some pics for now:

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the fact the thermal sensor is screwed in, and the thermal resistor is easy to replace too.

The Wantai motor is the same model recommended on the Ciclop build. Nice news it can handle 1.7A.

The blower fan printed piece lacks the degree of quality I'd expect from a company that creates 3D printers though.

Right now printer is working fine with the Rapide extruder, but I'll try to prepare all the wiring for this extruder in the meantime.

We'll see...

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like you will loose some space on the X axis, probably similar to the dual extruder of Rapide ?