Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: X Wing Slider

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Play in your z-axis? Mine seems quite firm, whereas my extruder moves several mm up and down due to play in x-axis bearings ??? (see short video) oh? Can't post video straight from my phone?

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see, the carriage wraps around the rail. My calculations had the carriage on one side of the rail.
    How does this type of bearing compare to the ball bearing type?

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by milstream View Post
    ........How does this type of bearing compare to the ball bearing type?
    Cheaper for sure! A lot of the lower cost sliders use plastic sleeves/bearings and don't use ball bearings.
    My aim is too keep the costs down and if it doesn't work out you can always restore the original set up because none of that was damaged.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boden, I'm interested, but I'm wondering how long you're willing to wait. I want to spend some time looking at it this weekend. Also, I'm looking at joining a makerspace where I live, and they have a CNC mill. So I'm hoping I could machine the parts there. At the very least I could make one and see how it works. Unfortunately, I won't know about the makerspace thing until probably mid May. I understand if you're not willing to wait that long, especially since it might not pan out. I'll still let you know if I come up with any new ideas this weekend though.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boben, move forward with your design and prove the slider on your machine and post a video. I think more will be willing to purchase once its proven and any bugs have been worked out.

Post Thanks / Like
    i'd be in for two most probably!

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by synthius View Post
    Boben, move forward with your design and prove the slider on your machine and post a video. I think more will be willing to purchase once its proven and any bugs have been worked out.
    I understand your point but there's no economy in scale if I'm the only customer

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McCrapShot View Post
    Boden, I'm interested, but I'm wondering how long you're willing to wait. I want to spend some time looking at it this weekend. Also, I'm looking at joining a makerspace where I live, and they have a CNC mill. So I'm hoping I could machine the parts there. At the very least I could make one and see how it works. Unfortunately, I won't know about the makerspace thing until probably mid May. I understand if you're not willing to wait that long, especially since it might not pan out. I'll still let you know if I come up with any new ideas this weekend though.
    I'd really prefer somebody who can almost do it for nothing (excluding materials) to make a test set because sods law it will need a couple of prototypes to get it just right and although ver.2 is not expensive (my best guess!) having to do it 2-3 times does make it look less attractive. If my father-in-law was still alive today I'd have had one made in 24 hrs. and within a week we'd all have pukka sliders

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I'm going to start a new thread that's just about registering interest in having our own version slider custom made, so please no posts about the slider in that thread as I'd like it to be easy for people to see how many are interested without having to dig through pages of posts.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boden, I was thinking the same thing, it would be better to be able to prototype it and get it just right before producing a bunch. That's why I was wondering if you can wait. I should be able to machine the parts at material cost only if I join the makerspace here. Then I could test them and see how they work, and tweak if necessary. But like I said, the soonest I'll likely be able to do it is mid May.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    @BobenhamHotspur
    Looks interesting so far.. as i am located in Japan the shipment costs would be probably higher than ordering the X-wing Slider upgrade from Rapide
    additional my X-wing Slider does not have much "play" yet.