Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 1 of 1
  1. #1
    3D Printer Noob
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Post Thanks / Like

    CubePro/CubeX - Simple print quality improvements

    I've recently knocked the dust off of my CubePro Trio but my Cube3 will continue to provide the vast majority of my printing, mostly due to the higher quality of print jobs. It really isn't a fair fight though, the Cube3 is Bowden design with linear rails on all three axis and uses an aluminum print plate. Even without the benefit of a heated platform, the Cube3 is going to win nearly every quality test you throw it - barring large ABS prints for obvious reasons.

    I wanted to share a few things that I have done. I have a few more ideas in the works and will share those once complete and tested. I have Simplify3D, which provides advantages but there are some quality issues that are still present even with that. The biggest hit to quality is what I call "vibration artifacts", odd waves of inconsistency throughout the entire print. Dropping $150 on Simplify3D is the best investment I've made to my 3d printing "hobby". I highly recommend the product - You have 30 days to try it and can utilize 1 license on 2 computers (share with a friend?). Being able to use it on my entire 3D Systems collection of printers is a nice bonus, but I would buy it again even if only for the Cube3 or only for the CubePro.

    While I am impressed with the conversion projects on this forum, that isn't something I am interested in doing. My hope is to get that top grade print quality with lightweight modifications and the use of S3D.

    Top priority = lighten the feed assembly assembly!
    Each CubePro printjet assembly weighs in at 500!!! grams - just the motor is 365 grams. 1500 grams of weight in motion before you even consider the bearings, assembly platform, electronics, etc. 3D Systems also used steel in many of these components (why?!?!), which adds to the problem.

    The first thing I did was remove the entire 3rd printjet assembly. Why would I do such a thing?? Well, I've owned a BFB trio, CubeX trio, CubePro Trio and Cube3s and the total number of times I've printed items in multiple colors? Once... what did I print? The 2 color vase model sent with the Cube 3, which was promptly thrown away after the obnoxious print time. I didn't remove and dispose of the 3rd printjet... just removed for the moment.
    Arguably, I could also loose the second printjet as I don't have a need for PVA supported prints. Simplify3Ds support is excellent and I have yet to come across a print that would need PVA vs. S3D support. It's the advanced nozzle so I am reluctant to loose the ability to use OEM slicer to print Flex and Wood.

    I've ordered a much smaller NEMA 17 motor and will provide those test results. Using a full size NEMA 17 to feed filament appears to be a massive waste to me, but we'll see what kinds of complications that creates. The original motor is a Motion Control NEMA 17 with 1.8 degree turns/steps (?). The model from the Pro is no longer available from Motion Control's site so I am hopeful that simply matching the steps is enough.

    The second thing I did was add the following EVA foam furniture sliders under the four bases of the printer. I decided on this item from Amazon, which arrived next day -
    I am VERY impressed with this solution. It was cheap, easy to install and made a noticeable improvement to print quality. The vibration artifacts are much smaller and more uniform.

    I did this after seeing an interesting test on Youtube involving a variety of solutions to remove vibration artifacts from the prints of a large (Prusa maybe?) 3d printer. I believe the best tested solution was a slab of concrete paired with a layer of dense foam. Weight + vibration absorbing material.

    I'm also planning to bore and thread the tip of my extra Pro printjet to allow it to accept E3D V6 nozzles. I've taken measurements and done the math... I think this is possible and would allow users to print with almost anything on their Pro. The internal PTFE tube looks to be a standard 4mm OD x 2MM ID tube - eligible to be swapped out for metal to allow higher temp material prints. More on this one as I test.
    Last edited by dougk12; 02-23-2021 at 05:02 PM.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts