Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Retrofit heated bed to CubePro?

I did some searches and wasn't able to find anything but it would seem to me that retrofitting a heated bed to CubePro would be feasible. Retrofit = replacing the chamber heater with a heated bed and utilize as much of the stock configuration as possible. I read that the chamber heater takes full the 110v. Does that mean that there is nothing onboard that limits/controls voltage to the chamber heater? Does it use full 220v outside of the US?

Could this be as simple as configuring a dummy heated bed controller and power supply to run off of the chamber heater power? The OEM temp sensor appears to have quite a bit going on. Seems unlikely that could be re-used to me.

I would bet that this hasn't been yet because it really isn't that easy but if others have tried, please share links.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    You might need the chamber heater for the printer to start. There is chamber temp sensing IIRC. And yes, they are AC heaters with a thermal cutoff switch.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I guess my "idea" is that the printer could be fooled into turning on a heated print bed assembly and then manage that temp by simply turning it off once temp is reached. The chamber sensor would need to be replaced or repurposed (probably not possible) onto the heated plate.

If possible, it would be a huge improvement over the chamber heating solution.
    Last edited by dougk12; 03-02-2021 at 09:36 PM.