Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    It helps a bit if you convert the 3D extruded text into curves, before using the bender.
    Even after all of that I need to fix a few opened triangles. But after that the slicer (any slicer) will work really well.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well hats off to Cura slicer for actually printing correctly! The only downside of Cura from within MatterControl is that it never produces a skirt despite the settings. The skirts in the pic where from the previous STL with errors using MatterControl slicer. Oh well - did not need it for this print.
    BTW both slic3r and MatterControl slicers really did strange things with some layers completely empty.
    One other thing; I read that the bender works better on larger things (really?!). Well i tried it. My letters are 20mm high but I scaled it up 100 uniformly and redid the operation. I tried the default 10s and 80s for the arc. Both worked much better in the big scale! The 10s had no missing faces. The 80s had just one face missing. Scaling back down to the correct size did not effect the faces.

push.jpg

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love Sketchup 2015 and Symplify3D

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried this again just bending the letters and applying to the cylinder (like your pic above) but this gives me problems printing. The problem is trying to join/intersect the bent letters component and cylinder face cleanly. Even using exactly the same radius and number of segments for the curve it does not fit the face exactly. Pushing it through a tad and doing an intersection works but is impossible to clean up with so many edges to find and erase. I feel like there should be something that does a better job of joining here - perhaps that's what the Union in the Pro Only version does?! I'm using SketchUp because of the Shape Bender (and rather be using Cubify) so once I stop bending letters I should be good.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by warx View Post
    I tried this again just bending the letters and applying to the cylinder (like your pic above) but this gives me problems printing. The problem is trying to join/intersect the bent letters component and cylinder face cleanly. Even using exactly the same radius and number of segments for the curve it does not fit the face exactly. Pushing it through a tad and doing an intersection works but is impossible to clean up with so many edges to find and erase. I feel like there should be something that does a better job of joining here - perhaps that's what the Union in the Pro Only version does?! I'm using SketchUp because of the Shape Bender (and rather be using Cubify) so once I stop bending letters I should be good.
    I face the same issues.
    Sometimes cleaning up the work to be good for printing is a lot of work.
    One trick that helped me was to draw everything in a larger scale, and then scale it down to the proper dimensions. SketchUp does not like too much sub-milimeter sizes and rounds things up to 1 mm.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by warx View Post
    ........The only downside of Cura from within MatterControl is that it never produces a skirt despite the settings. .......
    If I remember correctly, in MC it treats brim and skirt as the same thing but differently, if you get my drift It's something like, brim is skirt but attached to the model. You should email the MC people they are very good at responding.
    Last edited by BobenhamHotspur; 04-28-2015 at 04:45 PM.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're right - scaling up does help it not to mess up on some triangles! I would think it would all be floating point math - oh well...

I did actually get a clean model before trying the scaling up/down also by doing the inside the 'solid object' cleanup and then running the STL through https://netfabb.azurewebsites.net/ and all the slicers were happy with it! I suppose I'll just need to put that in the workflow. Geomagic did an equally good job too.

Re brim/skirt - yeah it was operator error. Reading the contextual popup help on each field showed me the difference in terminology.