Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

More printer (USB ATmega16u2) madness!!

So I recently bought a "faulty?" Rapide 200 from a fellow forum member here and wait to have it delivered to my door.

Once I got it, I removed his Rapide mainboard to my printer (as I'm still awaiting a new mainboard from Rapide myself) and started to print... which worked... for 1h.

After 1h, all kinds of "timeout" errors started to arise:

I kept testing:

1) Rerouted the USB external cable to the other side of the printer (just in case any environmental static was around it) and got this lol:

Changing monitoring state from 'Offline' to 'Opening serial port'
    Connecting to: /dev/ttyACM0
    Connected to: Serial<id=0x7569a730, open=True>(port='/dev/ttyACM0', baudrate=115200, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=10.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
    Changing monitoring state from 'Opening serial port' to 'Connecting'
    Recv: 48?|2????X]??

2) Replaced external USB cable with another one, totally different one:

Changing monitoring state from 'Offline' to 'Opening serial port'
    Connecting to: /dev/ttyACM0
    Connected to: Serial<id=0x25b4f90, open=True>(port='/dev/ttyACM0', baudrate=115200, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=10.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
    Recv: u.+'a[R?P?dZ??

3) ...and finally connected straight from USB to inside the machine, and first test worked right on, BUT second test:

Connected to: Serial<id=0x1331330, open=True>(port='/dev/ttyACM0', baudrate=115200, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=10.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
    Recv: 2015
    Recv: echK2????Mem ?: 5215 P+???? ?????B^W?? 123??echo:Hardc????Defaul?????????L+?ed?BCraz^?K? r "??????nfig)
    Recv: C??iled: Apr?5 2015
    Recv: echK2????Mem ?: 5215 P+???? ?????B^W?? 123??echo:Hardc????Defaul?????????L+?ed?BCraz^?K? r "??????nfig)

SO i started to check the board, multimeter, DFU mode (which this board seems NOT to accept) and after so many tests, go FIGURE!:

I plugged the USB POWER jumper on the board + the AC plug on the printer.... and it's now WORKING! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This basically means something's really fcked up in the USB firmware, but at least I can print for the moment....

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quick, print as much as you can
    You have a lot of catching up to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    agreed! rotfl!

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I get exactly the same response from OctoPrint terminal, reproducing the following steps:
    1- Everything is working fine (printer connected and working fine and displayed connected in Octoprint)
    2- Switch off printer
    3- Octoprint display some communication problem and show printer Error
    4- Turn printer ON
    5- Press Connect button in OctoPrint
    6- Terminal log in OctoPrint displays those wrong messages (they are caused by a wrong communication protocol, maybe the bitrate or something else).

How to fix:
    1- Restart OctoPrint, leaving the printer ON
    2- Everything works...

Conclusion:
    - The printer needs to be turned On always before the USB hardware (or at the same time).
    - I use the same power switch button to turn the RBPi and Printer simultaneously.

Post Thanks / Like
    Believe me, I tried all and every "restart, reboot, leave printer on, turn printer off" sequence you can imagine...

Also it makes no sense the printer has to stay with USB power jumper AND AC adapter plugged in order to work fine.... This is hilarious.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is that the solution for the communication issue?
    I've printed successfully 3-4h parts but sometimes it stops after 1min or even does not start printing...

I'm using a PC W7 64b directly or a RPI2+Repetier server... and no improvement, same communication issues in both cases.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bolsoncerrado View Post
    ............................. I plugged the USB POWER jumper on the board + the AC plug on the printer.... and it's now WORKING! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ......
    Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by "USB power jumper"?

Post Thanks / Like
    @BOB: I had to put the Rapide USB Power jumper on the USB position for the printer to be recognized...

@Julien: Rapide board and Windows (and even Mac) has all sort of random USB disconnections. Be sure to update your OS to the latest patches and try again or grab a raspberry pi and try again.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tryed with repetier server on raspberry pi but same issues.
    The ACK messages from the 3Dprinter are sometimes corrupted imo (wrong character at the begining of the string)
    I have to perform more tests to confirm it.

I will try octopi instead of repetier server (which is still a beta soft...)

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Octopi is just perfect!
    No more USB issue for a 2h print and no issue while playing manually neither.

I've tryed the "upload to SD card" feature, it uploaded well (octoprint converts the file to .gco) and the file is well on the SD but I could not start the printing from SD.
    The commands are sent properly to the printer, state is switched to "printing from SD" but nothing happens. In the terminal I've seen some errors printer could not open or find the file.

Anybody managed to do it?

Anyways, USB communication between printer and Raspberry pi seems stable so the "print from SD" becomes pointless.