Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I noticed that with the Google Drive links I posted earlier, not my Drive link but the other ones. I actually used the cubify_v3.04.exe and was able to install Cubify no problem so I think only some things are corrupted? Went ahead and uploaded the Cubify exe I used to install Cubify to my computer on my drive file so you can take a look.

WIFI firmware updates are not possible as there is no server for it to connect to. I'm guessing when you run the command on the printer it goes to a certain webpage and grabs a file. Obviously that webpage is no longer available. Before I updated the printer and corrupted the firmware I tried using the WIFI option and to no avail it said unable to reach server or something similar. You could probably use it if you could change where it was pulling the file but is that even worth it at that point? With these printers once you have a working firmware version I would think you just leave it.

When I originally pulled out the SD card there were 30-40 .cube3 files from whoever used it before I found it and I took all the .cube3 files off, guess I accidentally took off the welcome test cube but I don't think that would be affecting anything. What is that "magellan.ar" stuff? Haven't seen that anywhere before. Also, I can't just use your files as you have the Cube 3. I've read Ekocycle's firmware is different which is a bummer.

You mention this v1.14B firmware file. Long story, so that's the file I originally tried to put on it. I tried the method of putting in the original firmware, then when it starts to download unplugging the USB and renaming the cube 3 firmware file - that file - as ekocycle V1.05.ar and putting it in. It's supposed to just load that firmware since the hardware is the same it would just write to it and I guess that's how you convert an Ekocycle to a Cube 3. Thing is, I tried that multiple times and to no avail was I able to get the Ekocycle to even read the file. Renaming the file to ekocycle V1.05.ar I was able to get the Ekocycle to see it was available but as soon as I clicked on the name it said Firmware download failed and I could retry and cancel. I was only able to update the printer using this foreign file that I guess was a hex edited version of the original Ekocycle firmware, hence why it didn't fail and seemed to take the firmware. So I understand now what you mean with the toolbox and the v1.14B firmware file but that isn't what I used in this case.

If you were able to get an original Ekocycle's on-board SD files, I think I just need that Image695.hex file or to figure out how to edit mine to fix the errors. I don't know what to do with the hex and I've also heard mentions of incorrect checksums and that it needs to be fixed and then it works. I'm not sure if you've heard of this before.

Here's what that boot.bin file looks like. A whole lot of nothing. I've read that the reason for this is that its an encrypted file and since Notepad++ isn't decrypting the file its just all gibberish.
    Attachment 4171

Obviously that isn't the whole thing, all the files I have on that card I've uploaded to my drive link.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...QJ?usp=sharing

- - - - - - - - - -

Searching through the gr folder, theres some interesting stuff. Mentions of firmware within the text.lng file. I was thinking that this was just a language file so state whether you're using english or french or whatever. Maybe thats all it is but something to mention.

Found the welcome.cube3 file, its under gr/ft then the same file is in all three abs/pla/rpet folders. Interestingly the abs/pla/rpet versions of the welcome.cube3 file are different when viewing with Notepad++, something to note.
    Last edited by Maxaye; 03-19-2021 at 02:58 AM.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Max,

Unfortunately, I have already converted my Ekocycle to a Cube3. But from what Tom has said, the firmware you've downloaded is corrupt. And anything that the patching tool does further corrupts it. I am working on getting a good set of files uploaded to my site.

But until then, the process I followed to upgrade the Ekocycle to a Cube3, was, at a minimum, have a booting Ekocycle printer. I haven't disassembled my Ekocycle, nor do I really want to -- these are really cool machines and I don't want to take a chance on breaking mine.

--Bud

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay something to note. I was digging through my files and noticed that the ekocycle V1.05.ar file I uploaded was 16mb. Then searching through the Cube3_V1.14B_ar file I downloaded when I was trying to get the Ekocycle to Cube3 conversion working, it has an "original" folder and in there is the an ekocycle V1.05.ar file but that file is 23mb. Maybe the update also failed because I'm missing something?

FirmwareSideBySide.PNG

Here's that comparison.

- - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by buddybu View Post
    Hi Max,

Unfortunately, I have already converted my Ekocycle to a Cube3. But from what Tom has said, the firmware you've downloaded is corrupt. And anything that the patching tool does further corrupts it. I am working on getting a good set of files uploaded to my site.

But until then, the process I followed to upgrade the Ekocycle to a Cube3, was, at a minimum, have a booting Ekocycle printer. I haven't disassembled my Ekocycle, nor do I really want to -- these are really cool machines and I don't want to take a chance on breaking mine.

--Bud
    Thanks for reaching out Bud. I totally get what you mean, I can see this being a great little printer, I was ecstatic when I got the slicer working and printed a little guy off, very nice and kind of just works which is great for the university. If I can get this one going again we'll see if I can't convert it to a Cube3, thing is I'll also need to convert the spools to Cube3 spools but that all depends on if I can get it working and how much time I'm going to be able to spend on this - hence why I'm looking to get this all going ASAP. I have a dozen other printers I still have to work on and diagnose.
    Last edited by Maxaye; 03-19-2021 at 03:06 AM.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    You like torturing hardware huh LOL

Was that the final resolution to hack an Ekocycle to a Cube3 in the OpenBuilds discussions? I thought that the interrupt method was only for CubePro, and even there is and was highly suspect. Its been way to long ;]

The welcome.cube3 is only there because it was my last print. Any .cube3 file could reside there.

You have the two files needed for the Cube3 to uniquely identify your printer. Magellan is Cubify's codename for the Cube3 engine I would suppose. That is what the firmware file is renamed to during installation best I could tell. That might be the 'repair' process - bring in the latest version and give it a common name. You could try to food the system that way. If the GR folder is missing or empty, it might try to rebuild that from the Magellan file

The reason I asked about the WiFi, and good you took notes, is that maybe a rescue required the WiFi version to reboot. The file not found error may have pointed to that.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 03-19-2021 at 06:04 AM.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    At this point, if anyone has any functional files they can send, I'd appreciate that. Since its non functional now I guess it doesn't matter what I throw into it since it won't even boot.

I'll try the other method of only having one file on the SD card at a time and see if that gets me anywhere.

- - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    You like torturing hardware huh LOL

Was that the final resolution to hack an Ekocycle to a Cube3 in the OpenBuilds discussions? I thought that the interrupt method was only for CubePro, and even there is and was highly suspect. Its been way to long ;]

The welcome.cube3 is only there because it was my last print. Any .cube3 file could reside there.

You have the two files needed for the Cube3 to uniquely identify your printer. Magellan is Cubify's codename for the Cube3 engine I would suppose. That is what the firmware file is renamed to during installation best I could tell. That might be the 'repair' process - bring in the latest version and give it a common name. You could try to food the system that way. If the GR folder is missing or empty, it might try to rebuild that from the Magellan file

The reason I asked about the WiFi, and good you took notes, is that maybe a rescue required the WiFi version to reboot. The file not found error may have pointed to that.

Here is your original F/W, the toolkit and the Windooze version of the app; https://drive.google.com/file/d/19pQ...ew?usp=sharing
    Well if this was not so locked down I don't think I'd be in this boat. Like I said I've done a lot with Marlin firmware but this walled garden ecosystem sucks.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Max,

Check your messages on openbuilds. I just sent you a zip file with the files extracted from the original Ekocycle 1.05 firmware.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by buddybu View Post
    Hi Max,

Check your messages on openbuilds. I just sent you a zip file with the files extracted from the original Ekocycle 1.05 firmware.
    Thank you! Will check now. Looking through the main corrupted file - Image695.hex, anyone know what the red means?

Hex.PNG

In the entire 30k lines of code, this is the only red.

I keep going back to this file because this is the only file that, in my testing, presented with a no boot when not in the SD card. Also according to others this is the file that got corrupted when they tried their flashing and they had to fix this to get back to working order.
    Last edited by Maxaye; 03-19-2021 at 03:26 AM.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    it likely means that this CRC check byte is not valid

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bingo! I knew that the Image695.hex was the issue. Its at least booted and lights, fans, and screen work. New issue, however I think I can fix that by using the original bin files that were on the card.

Capture.PNG

- - - - - - - - - -

And were back! Only took a lot of stress last night and spending most of my day today figuring stuff out

Capture.PNG

- - - - - - - - - -

So once I get it screwed back together I guess I'm ready to convert it CORRECTLY this time? LOL

10. Likes TommyDee liked this post
    Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    great. The key now is to convert it to a cube 3. It involves usb key swapping, with the original ekocycle firmware on key 1, starting the updgrade, then pulling the key, and putting in key 2 with the cube3 v 1.14b firmware renamed to match the ekocycle name exactly.