Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to give you a BIG thanks Bud, without your files I still wouldn't have a booting machine. Really helped me out there.

Also thanks to Tom for helping me troubleshoot. Now that its back together maybe you can help me convert it? I've read that you don't have to convert it but can modify the Ekocycle firmware so it remains an Ekocycle. That would be easier for the time being so I can get people printing with this. I just need to stop the filament chip from counting down and were solid.

I'm hoping this isn't the end now that its back to stable, I'd like to develop a good knowledge base and since this is the more "unique" Ekocycle model I think it would be cool to see what we can do and hopefully people who have this machine now and later can have an easier time finding information on it than I have had haha.

- - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by buddybu View Post
    great. The key now is to convert it to a cube 3. It involves usb key swapping, with the original ekocycle firmware on key 1, starting the updgrade, then pulling the key, and putting in key 2 with the cube3 v 1.14b firmware renamed to match the ekocycle name exactly.
    Is it true I have to patch the spool chips as well? I have original Ekocycle spools and I read that the Cube 3 only uses Cube 3 spools and Ekocycle uses Ekocycle spools - because of the whole 25% plastic bottle stuff.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, here's the thing. With the Ekocycle, you can only print Ekocycle filament or the rinse-away support filament. With the Cube3, you get to open up to PLA, ABS, TPU, PETG, etc. Now you can still use the Ekocycle, but PLA will be right out with you, unless you use the Cube3Editor to modify the generated files to reduce the temperatures to match your PLA.

Patching the Cube3 firmware is much easier than the Ekocycle. Patching the ekocycle will require you to edit the hex file and change some values and then if you get it wrong, you get what you just had.

For the cartridges, with the Cube3 hack, the cartridges will never run out of filament again. Tomuro's tool and software allows you to reset the filament level, change the filament type and color of each chip.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alright so what I'm getting is if I stay with the Ekocycle firmware, no PLA because temps are really high unless I modify every single print file. No problem, I can switch to Cube3 firmware then. I'm not in the business of learning hex code and starts to go above my pay grade :P I guess I can switch between the firmwares right? If everything is saved to that SD card then switching out the card would swap between firmwares if I'm not wrong?

I've seen Tomuro's tool. I can get my hands on a nano and using the lite version would be fine (just because I'm operating under a company, it gets tricky when I'm starting to spend money for tools, software, etc from an unknown source). How easy is it to work the lite version? Would I even need that if I can get the printer switched over to Cube3 and then stop the filament percent from decreasing?

- - - - - - - - - -

Do you have those files for correct Cube3 firmware? I have the original Ekocycle firmware file from TommyDee which should work. I have a set of Cube3_V1.14B.ar firmwares but am unsure if it is correct. That being said when I tried this before it wouldn't let me upgrade. If it does it again I can show you. Before I attempt anything I'd like to know if my hypothesis about switching between firmwares is possible - just in case.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, the tool is fairly straight forward. You access it using a serial terminal emulator like puTTY or kiTTY (or others). the light version will do what you want, but you won't be able to change your ekocycle chips to PLA, PETG, etc, without the full version. There was someone offering to reprogram chips for free, but I don't know if they are still doing that. You will need to remove the chip from the cartridge to do this though.

Getting the full version requires making contact with Tomoru, sending him some cash, I believe it was 25 for me, then he compiles a version specifically for you and you program that to your nano.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    No problem removing the chip. I was going to create a piece that keeps the chip always connected and uses the same extruder housing piece to drive the filament.

This lite version I know is just able to reset the filament percent to whatever you need it to be. That would honestly be fine for the time being. I can present it to my boss and ask if it would be more viable to get the full version. I agree that to have a lot more control is better but sadly in this situation it's not necessarily up to me - I'm just there to get the printers to work and function like they should while teaching the students how to use them correctly.

With the nano, how do I connect the chip to the nano? Can I just use some jumper wires or is it more complicated than that? I haven't looked at a lot of the information because I thought that step was a lot further down the road.

This would be a good deal because I can get this back on the floor and then maybe revisit this at a later date.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    so, it is as simple as connecting jumper wires to the pads on the chip. I think tomuro's site tells you which wire to connect to which pad (one is ground, the other is data)

Check out the Cube3Editor thread. This is a tool that Tommy helped me develop. It has a command line interface that uses a script that can bulk process files, so if you want to change the various temperature levels, it will be able to do that for you.

7. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay I'll do some research on Tomuros program tonight and see what I can dig up. I'll also look into the Cube3Editor thread. Thanks for the help Bud, I'll be in touch.

For now, have a good one.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Same for the reverse? Cube3 to Ekocycle?

Tomuro's circuit is here http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...muro-s-Circuit

The Nano needs some interfaces. Minimally, you need a pull-down on D4 and a 2.2K [or slightly less] resistor for the probe. With the Arduino IDE console, you can manage the chip. You will want to ask the boss for spare cartridges so you will have more chips too.

Definitely recommend the universal hub - but I'm biased. http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...-Universal-Hub
    Last edited by TommyDee; 03-19-2021 at 05:04 AM.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see why the downgrade wouldn't work in reverse....

usb1: current cube3 firmware
    usb2: ekocycle firmware (renamed to exactly match the cube3 firmware filename)

or back to cube3
    usb1: current ekocycle firmware
    usb2: cube3 firmware (Renamed exactly to match the ekocycle firmware filename)

the downside of the ekocycle firmware is that it can still decrement the chip, but with Tomuro's tool that is easily reset to full (or 98% -- as we should be doing)

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting stuff, will definitely look into that and see what I can do. Thanks Tom!

- - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by buddybu View Post
    I don't see why the downgrade wouldn't work in reverse....

usb1: current cube3 firmware
    usb2: ekocycle firmware (renamed to exactly match the cube3 firmware filename)

or back to cube3
    usb1: current ekocycle firmware
    usb2: cube3 firmware (Renamed exactly to match the ekocycle firmware filename)

the downside of the ekocycle firmware is that it can still decrement the chip, but with Tomuro's tool that is easily reset to full (or 98% -- as we should be doing)

Only reason I think I'd ever go back to the stock firmware is if the company wanted it for whatever reason. Always good to make sure you can reverse it so you're not left to get the blame when someone wants it "back to how it was before".

Like I said for the sake of getting this printer back to printing I think the chip tool would be a good option and to just reset the chips at 10%-5%. Seems like we only have these two spools so I guess lucky there. Don't want to lose that 2% one.