Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool; so where do we point people for the hacked version of Ekocycle if the toolbox is not the solution?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi John, thanks for the reply. Yeah everyone helped out a lot and we got it from bricked to back up and running within a few hours which is fantastic! I haven't worked on it at all over the weekend but will be putting some more time into it tomorrow.

I think for the future of this machine it would be great to switch to Cube3 from Ekocycle so we can put whatever filament we want and have a lot more control over it. However, for the time being the main objective is getting this into the hands of students and having another working machine on the floor. I'm thinking running some PETG or ABS as the filament for the PLA setting since the temps are so high until we can switch over to Cube3.

For now I'd love to stop the filament countdown and keep the Ekocycle firmware so I can get some hardware mods going and then get this back in use. If you could share those files with me and whatever instructions necessary that would be wonderful. I suppose now that I have a copy of the original files even if I brick it again I can get it back up and running within the hour (knock on wood).

- - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTee View Post
    Hey Max,

FWIW I replied to your PM last night while you were working in this thread. I didn't realize then, but you are MUCH farther along here than I suspected when I replied.

I agree with the suggestion to switch to Cube3 mode (even though Ekocycle is sexier.

If, however, you want to stay Eko so you don't have to reprogram your two cartridges, I have the original and modified (for no-filament-countdown) V1.05.ar files you can use, as well as the Cube3 V1.14.ar files. With all four, you can switch back and forth at will. (I-Am)

John
    I forgot to quote this in the message I sent. Whoops!

- - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    I was there when the code was being developed of course. It was 2 bits to keep the write operation from working. Turns out over time, it fills a buffer and allows 100% cartridges from the app via WiFi. And both chip bays share the same buffer. Manual sneaker-net files definitely required pre-initialization of the chip.

I was suggesting the Ekocycle and the Cube3 slicer use very different offsets from the build plate in the initial Z-values. I don't do anything in terms of maintenance or adjustment other than change filament between ABS and PETG, the little hack works pretty good for that. I have the gap dialed to perfection for ABS. Do note that I still use 3DS ABS which really works nicely in these printers if you can keep prints from curling. LokBuild with a thin layer of watered down cube glue is still serving me very well in this regard. I'm still using the dregs in the bottle I had the Lego shaker mix for me. LokBuild holds onto the glue like no ones business. Don't forget the overbrim file! Makes for a reservoir for the glue when you recharge it without giving up print space.

Having an EkoCycle set up can still print whatever you slice in the app using Cube3 including 70um. Only the Ekocycle side of the app is limited. I really need to script the editor for my every day modifications. I keep telling myself if I script these processes, I'll forget what they are doing. I don't even think about the change as its muscle memory and less than a minute for the whole cycle including reloading before sending the file to the printer. I do want the file in the library.

Thanks for the link - I'll refresh my knowledge from the source ;]

- - - - - - - - - -

Buddy - I didn't know you hacked the hack for Ekocyle. I was doing ReCube by then IIRC. How did you resolve the checksum or did that even matter?

Question - The Cube3 hack doesn't require USB SD-swapping - Does changing the Ekocycle stock to Ekocycle hacked require the interrupting of the install by swapping SD's?

Or does my first question answer the second ;]

- - - - - - - - - -

JohnTee, I use NovaMaker White PETG available on Amazon. So far, the most consistent filament I've been able to source. I'm using it for everything structural.
    So Tom, you mention the use of an app. I haven't been able to source this application - even as a file to run with Android. Is there somewhere I could try this app out? Experimentation would be fun

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's right, there was an Android print status viewer at one time. They were hosted on Google Store.

When I say app, I mean the executable Cubify programs.

If you plan to run PETG, use the Ekocycle slicer. It really is tuned very well for decent 3rd party filament.
    Most PLA works well with the default PLA slicer. ABS is not so cleaver. The 3DS ABS slicer runs about 10*C hotter than most 3rd party ABS prefer.

Having all three slicers available with simply changing the filament type in the file and maybe a tweak or two has really opened up these printers. Those recipes had a lot of engineering behind them.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Cool; so where do we point people for the hacked version of Ekocycle if the toolbox is not the solution?
    Well, I could provide mine, I suppose. But I thought it was different for every Ekocycle. I will post mine after I get the files re-organized and uploaded.

5. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post
    Likes TommyDee liked this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've used the same patched firmware file on the same usb flash drive on all my Ekocycle machines.

Where they get particular is if you update files on the internal SD card. Technically the (I think..) .hex file contains the machine serial number, so would be unique. However, I have found that if you use the same file on different machines, you can just reuse the same serial number. I never let them connect to the Internet, so I have not had a problem with duplication.

If buddybu's file doesn't work, I'll be happy to provide a location for a file that looks very much like mine!
    Last edited by JohnTee; 03-24-2021 at 11:58 PM.

7. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post
    Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the confirmation. My modified ekocycle firmware is here, along with the original. https://gofile.io/d/IhZgXq

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that BuddyBu.

I duplicated the file hosting on my google drive and added a link to that and back to your message above on the front page [post 2]. This is as good a thread as any to choose it the Ekocycle thread. Let me know if I need to tweak anything. Really appreciate closing this oversight.

And JohnTee, thank you for the tidbits. That might mean that Ekocycle printers are not bound to an internal MAC address. By your observations it seems the Ekocycles can be cloned. There are a lot more binary files on the SD after all. I know we had a long discussion about these files, including the 4-digit code, with regard to Cube3 back on the build-forum.

And I think it is just astonishing that this team was able to get a bricked printer back up for the OP. Happy Printing Maxaye

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW...

I ran a diff on BuddyBu's modified file vs the version I have been using (if and when I load the Eko firmware.)

There are three two-byte differences - each just before the CR-LF of a line. (checksum value?)
    The other 5 mods are identical between the two versions.

I may drag out a spare printer to try loading both versions ...

PS - Thanks, Buddybu, for posting the file (that looks very similar to the one you use ).
    And I second the Attaboy for Maxay & team.
    Last edited by JohnTee; 03-25-2021 at 04:26 AM.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whichever one does the hack easiest wins ;] That is Ekocycle stock to Ekocycle modified. I think you said it should be just like installing the normal F/W.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnTee View Post
    I've used the same patched firmware file on the same usb flash drive on all my Ekocycle machines.

Where they get particular is if you update files on the internal SD card. Technically the (I think..) .hex file contains the machine serial number, so would be unique. However, I have found that if you use the same file on different machines, you can just reuse the same serial number. I never let them connect to the Internet, so I have not had a problem with duplication.

If buddybu's file doesn't work, I'll be happy to provide a location for a file that looks very much like mine!
    Hi John, I wanted to give my opinion and say that it is not the .hex file that is printer unique. I was able to use Buddy's .hex when mine was corrupted. What I did need to change out however were the two binary files, one or both of those have the serial number. When I dropped all of Buddy's files including the .bin files it gave me an error saying the serial number was incorrect and to contact support. Once I removed those .bin files and replaced them with the ones originally on the sd card it booted up fine.

- - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by buddybu View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation. My modified ekocycle firmware is here, along with the original. https://gofile.io/d/IhZgXq
    I tried your modified file Buddy and it gave me an error, pictured. Do I need to do something special? I tried using both a normal flash drive as well as a micro sd to flash and it gave me the same error both times. I did rename the file from ekocycle V1.05 - modified.ar to ekocycle V1.05.ar so it matches what would work. I know it should give me an option after telling me to insert the USB drive. I am using a different kind of drive so maybe thats the reason? The other drive I was using broke though so I may need to go get myself another USB drive. Capture.PNG
    Last edited by Maxaye; 03-26-2021 at 01:35 AM.