Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is wonderful news, once again no less. Now do some printing and tell us what you think.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    sedf.PNG

Started to experiment and took off the front of the spool and hooked up some Matterhackers black PETG.

aa.PNG

Printing was very smooth, no warping or layer adhesion issues. Filament seemed to print fine even at a high temperature. Unable to figure out what temperature its printing at.

awd.PNG

Finished print was great! Right is original Ekocycle black filament and left is Matterhackers black PETG. I even think the Matterhackers black PETG came out better than the Ekocycle filament. Even after these prints the spool still reads 66%, so the modded firmware is working like it should.

I think this will be good enough to get back onto the floor and have students start printing again. If I have time in the future I'd like to get some mods going and make it a much more easy to use printer.

Thanks for your help everyone, I hope to continue contributing what I can to this community.

Best,
    Max

3. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Maxaye, I'm more noob than you and it seems you may have an answer I need. Long story short, I have a Ekocycle doing the flashing screen after a bone-headed move with a flash file. I have another Ekocycle that isn't bricked, and pulled the micro-sd looking at the files. I've been following what you did but I cannot find the hex files, I can't even see the boot files or other files you showed. Is Windows 10 hiding these? What are you using as a file manager?

Thank you in advance, here's hoping you're still around somewhere.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there Wiz. You're in luck as I have post notifications still turned on haha. I haven't touched the Ekocycle much since doing this whole thing as it has been working without a problem, so forgive me.

Anyways, I believe you are at the step I was stuck at for a few days. If I am reading what you wrote correctly, you basically tried to flash new firmware, but the firmware was incorrect or corrupted in some way. Therefore, now when you go to turn it on the screen flashes on and off and on and so on until you pull the plug.

Lets start with the basics. You say you aren't able to see ANY files from either micro sd card? I used windows file explorer for the entire process. There is a chance that windows is hiding them from you so you will need to enable "Hidden items". That setting can be found under the view tab in file explorer. While you're there, also turn on "File name extensions" so you can make sure you are moving around the correct files.

Once you are able to see some files let me know if you still need help. If you aren't able to see anything even after turning on those two settings then there might not be any files there. I don't know how that happens but in any case I have copies of all the correct files on the Google Drive link that should be posted somewhere here.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Maxaye; 08-23-2021 at 03:02 AM.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the sd from the working unit that I have, I haven't torn down the bricked one yet. I have extensions and show hidden on, that's kind of a standard for me. I hate missing extensions. Anyway, my idea was that since I had this one torn open already I'd look for the files you talked about, and couldn't see them. I also tried attrib in a command box, there is really nothing else there. Printer is running v1.05
    Clipboard01.jpg

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alright so long as it is from the onboard sd card, the USB drive will not help us at all here. Your sd card folder is a lot different than what I remember having. Here is what mine looked like. Just for your information, the image695.hex file is the file that is corrupt and needs replacing. So, you should just need to replace that file with a non-corrupt .hex and it should boot up normally, thats what happened to me.

The picture below is what you are looking for. During this entire process do NOT delete any files. Doing so may result in a necessary file being deleted and then the printer may still boot but because printer-specific files are missing you will basically have a bricked machine.
    Attachment 4350

- - - - - - - - - -

Once we get the machine working and booting fine I can send you the correct file for upgrading to stop the filament chip countdown. Here is where you can find all of my files. https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...QJ?usp=sharing take a look around if you'd like. Everything I've ever found is there, all files at least.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking the next step is to crack open the bricked machine and get the internal sd card from it so I can see what's actually there. The contents of the non-bricked drive were me trying to avoid an "oh snap, I should have backed those up" moment. Before I found that there was someone else who experienced this my intention was to try to copy a set of good files from the good sd to the bad, but I'm also aware that the actual firmware itself is probably on a chip somewhere on the system board anyway. These came to me in a round-about way from a school, the deal I have going with the guy is if I can give him a working 3d printer out of this I can have the other Ekocube and the broken Makerbot. I'll try to get to the bricked sdcard as quick as possible, may be a day or two before I can get there though. Thank you again for helping out here, hoping I can pay it forward at some point. This actually is a neat little machine taken apart. I just don't like the proprietary cartridge and filament part.

- - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maxaye View Post
    Alright so long as it is from the onboard sd card, the USB drive will not help us at all here. Your sd card folder is a lot different than what I remember having. Here is what mine looked like. Just for your information, the image695.hex file is the file that is corrupt and needs replacing. So, you should just need to replace that file with a non-corrupt .hex and it should boot up normally, thats what happened to me.

The picture below is what you are looking for. During this entire process do NOT delete any files. Doing so may result in a necessary file being deleted and then the printer may still boot but because printer-specific files are missing you will basically have a bricked machine.
    Attachment 4350

- - - - - - - - - -

Once we get the machine working and booting fine I can send you the correct file for upgrading to stop the filament chip countdown. Here is where you can find all of my files. https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...QJ?usp=sharing take a look around if you'd like. Everything I've ever found is there, all files at least.
    The plot thickens, Ekocycles open much faster after you break the first one. I pulled the sd card from the bricked unit, and lo and behold there are the files. At this point I'm going to assume that the files end up there the first time you flash a printer, and that the other printer had never been upgraded. This bricked unit has gone through the Cube 3 flash, then back to Ekocycle when I found it wouldn't read Ekocycle cartridges (I've ordered some nano clones for a ReCube). Anyway, after imaging the bad sd card to be sure I have a good copy of the bin files, here is what this one's directory looks like. Now I'm curious and I'm going to reflash the working unit to factory v 1.05 just to see if the files change (I have a stock copy of the firmware, different from the one that crashed the Ekocycle)

ekocycle-bricked.jpg

- - - - - - - - - -

Maxaye, so because I was curious I reflashed the working machine with the factory v 1.05 firmware expecting those extra bin and hex files to appear but they didn't. So I have no idea what alignment of the stars causes them to be there unless it was the failed flash. Regardless, I now have those files on the failed printer's sd card. What magic did you perform to recover at this point? I read that it was the Image695.hex file, did simply replacing it with another (working) copy bring your printer back from the dead?

- - - - - - - - - -

I took the plunge after reading the thread again, used the hex file you thanked buddybu for, and after an initial "critical driver update" was back at the usual screen. While it was calibrating I think I understand why they stopped using this one, when the build plate hits about an inch from the bottom of the frame it just drops. I'll have to take a look and see if I can source the belts somewhere or make one. I think that also explains why it was mashing the build plate against the print heads, it has no clue where it's at. I see you have firmware from both Buddybu and TommyDee, which one do you run? Or did you brew your own?

Thank you for your guidance!

-Wiz
    Last edited by Wiz; 08-24-2021 at 12:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Wiz - that 1" drop is normal. That is what sets zero for Z. You set the default gap in maintenance. I set mine 'huge' so I can add thicker build plates. I also use manual gap as autogap depends on the maintenance setting. Read the instructions carefully as there is a hidden button push that calibration requires to save the setting. This will stop the build plate from crashing into the print head.

Of course, if the belt is missing a few teeth, my statement is suspect. But the drop at the bottom is normal. The purposefully releases the stepper.

I use original code as I have a ReCube wand.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's interesting that others do "the drop" also, thank you for that info. I haven't been back out to the shop to check the teeth I yet. I am really curious now how it knows where the top is then. My CTC i3 has stop switches at the end of each axis, and it counts steps from there. I see the same thing on the Makerbot. I've done an admittedly cursory look but still haven't found the stop sensors if it even has them.

ReCube wand is in my future, still working on acquiring the parts. and I'll be paying for the pro version. I use mostly ABS on my other printers, my wife uses PLA. I'd like to see what this Ekocycle/Cube3 can do with other materials. Or who knows, I might decide I like PETG.

11. Likes TommyDee liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cube3 and Ekocycle count steps from the bottom.