Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face CubePro - never used until now...hopefully

Hello folks

I am Mrs Nolan, a teacher and having just recently join my new school, I discovered that we have a CubePro, but it has not been used. I have now acquired it, I am a CS teacher, and my students are super excited to use it. But first I need to make sure I have it all activated and the latest drivers are installed. As you all know 3Dsystems do not care about this old model. Alas I have been searching for answers - and this forum is exactly what we need.

The Cubepro has power, it is visible on my computer.

1: Drivers - does anyone have the latest drivers?
    2: firmware upgrades - how do I get these?

I will happily buy coffee for helpful replies.

think about the children....

Kind Regards
    Mrs Nolan

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum Mrs. Nolan. If the printer is still asking for the 4-digit code, then this is something that 3D Systems needs to answer. If that doesn't happened, we may need to recruit the ingenuity of some good people. It was intended to start the warranty period but I do not know the policy since the full support arm disappeared.

Firmware, latest is v2.02. Drivers is only the program CubePro v2.02. This is for Windows. The only thing that will see the printer connected via WiFi is CubePro.

Things to know - the filament that came with the printer is old. It will work but not as good as new filament. New filament is not generally available from 3DS.

These units use a monitoring chip that counts down filament. Once the chip goes to zero, it is considered 'spent' and must be replaced. Over the years good people have helped correct this niggle and there are now two solutions to refilling the chip. One is questionable and the other is an expense. I will leave this open depending on your reply.

There is one thing these units really need - a better way to stick parts to the build plate. We have a lot of suggestions and ways to achieve this.

The product from the CubePro is often less than stellar from an aesthetic perspective. It uses a slightly different way to achieve its goals and should therefore be considered 'special' when comparing it to other DIY printers. CubePro is for the most part a closed proprietary system. I suspect you will simply expect this printer to work without too much fuss so I will leave this discussion here but know that more advanced students love working with hacks and they can learn a lot more here on this forum. As a matter of fact, participation here is highly recommended ;]

Setting up the CubePro is a little work getting the nozzles aligned and leveling the build plate. Once this is done, you are golden for a while until something goes wrong.

We can talk a little about conserving the included 3 bottles of CubeGlue - This is where a build surface called LokBuild comes in. This is a personal favorite but I know it works.

If you need a budget from the school - $33 for LokBuild and $73 for ReCube (chip recharge tool). I would suggest some fresh PLA filament as well.

There will be a lot of little issues to cover later but this will get you going. In the Cube3 forum, we have captured and pinned all the original files from the old Cubify site so there is plenty of support information to glean.

Let us know what else would be of interest.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 03-26-2021 at 07:52 PM.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mrs. Nolan

Very disappointing that 3DS pulled down their bundled archives but I do have them. Please PM me and I'll share a Google drive link with everything you'll need. The most important thing is the latest firmware, which is 2.02(?). The OEM slicer will also be included. You can either slice to a USB stick or print direct from the slicer via USB or WiFi. You can also use Simplify3D with this printer. I highly recommend it if you can get an inexpensive license as an educator.

With the latest firmware and a slicer, all that is left is filament and a cartridge (or cartridge chip). 3DS's plan was to lock down their filament and charge inflated prices for it, which made them very unpopular. If you have cartridges, you will find free plans for a chip programmer on this forum. The programmer quickly reloads chips to 100%. Maybe a fun side project for your students? As long as you have 1 cartridge or chip and a programmer, you can print indefinitely with that filament type.

How to build your own ReCube - Tomora's ReCube project
    Last edited by dougk12; 03-27-2021 at 03:36 PM.

4. Likes TommyDee liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just confirmed that 3DS is still helping with unlock codes...

cubesupport.PNG

https://www.3dsystems.com/support/cu...utm_medium=301

...as of today anyway.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

On our way...

Thank you for your reply. I spent a few hours on my day off, setting up the Cubepro - upgraded my firmware and I managed to get an STL file on to usb (not sure why it would not directly print from CPU or WIFI) but USB is fine. As I said to my students, this is a better day than giving birth to my children (almost less painful).

Anyhoo, it was printing a simple downloaded Thank you keyring, which I left to run over night, then we had a power outage - so now the print is in a stopped position. In mid print. I was thinking that I can use this piece as a demo - to show my students the internal structure. I used the draft settings as a test.

I am very interested in the various hacks, we have several ABS filaments - so happy to use these with the students.

Thank you so much for the various replies. I do not feel alone now as a member of this forum.

Mrs Nolan

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Welcome to the forum Mrs. Nolan. If the printer is still asking for the 4-digit code, then this is something that 3D Systems needs to answer. If that doesn't happened, we may need to recruit the ingenuity of some good people. It was intended to start the warranty period but I do not know the policy since the full support arm disappeared.

Firmware, latest is v2.02. Drivers is only the program CubePro v2.02. This is for Windows. The only thing that will see the printer connected via WiFi is CubePro.

Things to know - the filament that came with the printer is old. It will work but not as good as new filament. New filament is not generally available from 3DS.

These units use a monitoring chip that counts down filament. Once the chip goes to zero, it is considered 'spent' and must be replaced. Over the years good people have helped correct this niggle and there are now two solutions to refilling the chip. One is questionable and the other is an expense. I will leave this open depending on your reply.

There is one thing these units really need - a better way to stick parts to the build plate. We have a lot of suggestions and ways to achieve this.

The product from the CubePro is often less than stellar from an aesthetic perspective. It uses a slightly different way to achieve its goals and should therefore be considered 'special' when comparing it to other DIY printers. CubePro is for the most part a closed proprietary system. I suspect you will simply expect this printer to work without too much fuss so I will leave this discussion here but know that more advanced students love working with hacks and they can learn a lot more here on this forum. As a matter of fact, participation here is highly recommended ;]

Setting up the CubePro is a little work getting the nozzles aligned and leveling the build plate. Once this is done, you are golden for a while until something goes wrong.

We can talk a little about conserving the included 3 bottles of CubeGlue - This is where a build surface called LokBuild comes in. This is a personal favorite but I know it works.

If you need a budget from the school - $33 for LokBuild and $73 for ReCube (chip recharge tool). I would suggest some fresh PLA filament as well.

There will be a lot of little issues to cover later but this will get you going. In the Cube3 forum, we have captured and pinned all the original files from the old Cubify site so there is plenty of support information to glean.

Let us know what else would be of interest.
    - - - - - - - - - -

Thank you so much for these details. I have managed to upgrade my firmware. I will definately be up for doing whatever hacks to make sure we can get a few years out of this printer. I will also need to flash my chip when our filament runs out.

I love the idea of the project too.

Kind Regards
    Mrs Nolan

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear you got things going along Mrs. Nolan. What grade level are you working with? Do you have access to a robotics team? They can build you a ReCube circuit for filling cartridges. Just point them here - http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...muro-s-Circuit

Power outages just stop the printer. It is fairly immune to these.

I have not tested 3rd party ABS in the CubePro. Some have reported good results.

Let the filament flow! ;]